Some ideas to improve the game

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some ideas to improve the game

Post by potterman28wxcv on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:47 am

Hello, it's a long time since I haven't played any pokemon game. I have played the red one, then the silver one, then the ruby one, but this last has disappointed me, as they weren't the old pokemon anymore.. So I bought the yellow version, and, even though only the first generation pokemon were here, there was something that in my opinion was making the game almost perfect : almost all pokemon could be captured in this version ! Everyone could have a dream team (pikachu, bulbasaur, charmander and squirtle + mewtwo in the same team !) without having to trade pokemon. That is what I loved in the yellow version.

Another version I loved is the Silver one (and the Gold/Crystal), because you could visit both Johto and Kanto in one single version. And, of course, you had both the new and the old pokemon.

In my opinion, the perfect pokemon game would be a game where :
-> All areas of all generations could be visited (the best would be to start with the 1st gene, and then go on to visit the newer areas ; or, another idea, just let the player choose in what generation he wants to start, and let him select the order he wants to play that)
-> All pokemon could be captured or traded with NPC around the pokemon world. For example, about Haunter and Kadabra, there would be one NPC trading Haunter -> Kadabra, and one trading Kadabra -> Haunter.

Oh, and if it's possible, when the player starts to have some pokemon lvl 100, it would be great to make available a special area where he could beat all arena champions of a specific zone, with all their pokemon leveled to 100, and items forbidden.

I think that's all I wanted to say ; i encourage you to go further, it's a great idea that you had ^^ still, i hope you won't be blocked by some Copyrights law

EDIT : I forgot, I'm French, so I could help you with translating english sentences into french sentences, to make the game available in French

EDIT2 : Would it be possible to make an AZERTY keyboard configuration, selectable in the options ? the Z is reverted with the W with my french keyboard..

potterman28wxcv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some ideas to improve the game

Post by Tyrheon on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 pm

As the writer for the game, and as an associate of TBC, I'll tell you that this game will not include other generations of Pokemon. It is a prequel to the first generation of games. While it is also a wish of mine that, in some Pokemon game, all continents may be explored -- a truly epic game -- that is not the mandate or objective of THIS game. This is a character-driven Pokemon RPG, a prequel, where the main focuses will be more-challenging battles, great dialogue and story, and saluting/evolving the Pokemon backstory. There will undoubtedly be grand elements, and likely trips to the Orange Islands and whatnot, but you must understand that if for Nintendo writing a game of the magnitude you describe is a big project, imagine how difficult it would be for a collection of un-paid fans. We will, however, make our very best product, money or no money, so never fear!

As far the technical aspects and multi-language editions, that is all within TBC's sole jurisdiction, though I would tell you that translating the entire game into French, once it is completed, would quite a task for you! Moreover, it would require TBC to type your translations into some new version of the game -- which would be even more monumental -- so while multi-language editions are certainly on the table, they may not be possible, and would be far down the road if they were to become possible, in any case.

Thank you for your support, and your feedback. It's very much appreciated. May you play Pokemon games, of all sorts, for years to come!

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: BigDaddySlayer
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:18 am

@potterman28wxcv wrote:In my opinion, the perfect pokemon game would be a game where :
-> All areas of all generations could be visited (the best would be to start with the 1st gene, and then go on to visit the newer areas ; or, another idea, just let the player choose in what generation he wants to start, and let him select the order he wants to play that)
-> All pokemon could be captured or traded with NPC around the pokemon world. For example, about Haunter and Kadabra, there would be one NPC trading Haunter -> Kadabra, and one trading Kadabra -> Haunter.
Everyone wants that in a Pokemon game XD   I would like that myself someday.  However, there are three major problems with that.

1. As Tyrheon explained, this game's purpose is to tell the story of Agatha and Sam as a prequel to Generation 1 from Red/Blue.  It is to be a throwback to the originals as well as a game that is heavily focused on story.   A game that you're describing is a sandbox open-world game that would completely destroy any pre-tense of what this game is about.
  2. Balance.   After you would go through the second to third region out of the 5-6 you are suggesting, your Pokemon would be level 100. Maybe even as early as part-way through the second region.  This would make every single battle be with level 100's all the way through, and would be extremely boring.       To fix this, Pokemon would need to be able to get to level 300+ with complete re-balancing, you would need to re-set Pokemon each region (might as well make separate games then), have a completely different way of raising your pokemon (again, making a whole new type of game), or slowing leveling down an extreme amount, which would also cause more issues than it's worth. 
  3. As Tyrheon explained, this type of game would be extremely difficult for even Nintendo/Gamefreak to do, let alone 12 people that aren't getting paid to do this. With the programs we have, our actual goals for the game and the resources at hand it would be impossible.

@potterman28wxcv wrote:
Oh, and if it's possible, when the player starts to have some pokemon lvl 100, it would be great to make available a special area where he could beat all arena champions of a specific zone, with all their pokemon leveled to 100, and items forbidden.
There's going to be things like this in the game ^_^  I don't know about making items forbidden, but I definitely will have some end-game opportunities for players who grind.

@potterman28wxcv wrote:EDIT : I forgot, I'm French, so I could help you with translating english sentences into french sentences, to make the game available in French
I'm also in agreement with Tyrheon on this. Translating to other languages would be a monumental feat in and of itself, so I don't know about that happening. At least right now.   It is certainly an open possibility, but not one that would be explored until the game is finished and everything is written.

@potterman28wxcv wrote:EDIT2 : Would it be possible to make an AZERTY keyboard configuration, selectable in the options ? the Z is reverted with the W with my french keyboard..
Sadly, I don't think so :/   That goes with the general "can I cange the keys?" question, and it just isn't possible right now. I've tested it before, and it is much harder than it sounds, given keyboard's different settings and stuff.   I'll have to see what happens as things develop.

Thank you for your suggestions and support ^_^    Ooooh, I also forgot.  I have plans for each trade-evolution to evolve within the game itself in some way. So it won't be through trades.  But yeah, thanks again ^_^

I hope to see you around the community and/or hear more suggestions Smile

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by potterman28wxcv on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:23 pm

@Tyrheon wrote:As far the technical aspects and multi-language editions, that is all within TBC's sole jurisdiction, though I would tell you that translating the entire game into French, once it is completed, would quite a task for you! Moreover, it would require TBC to type your translations into some new version of the game -- which would be even more monumental -- so while multi-language editions are certainly on the table, they may not be possible, and would be far down the road if they were to become possible, in any case.

I thought that there would be an easy way to have different languages. But I forgot you make it via RPG maker - that is in my opinion the fastest and easiest way to develop that game without having to change some source code -, and there is no easy way to do that with the RPG maker, unfortunately..

@TBC wrote:Balance.   After you would go through the second to third region out of the 5-6 you are suggesting, your Pokemon would be level 100. Maybe even as early as part-way through the second region.  This would make every single battle be with level 100's all the way through, and would be extremely boring.       To fix this, Pokemon would need to be able to get to level 300+ with complete re-balancing, you would need to re-set Pokemon each region (might as well make separate games then), have a completely different way of raising your pokemon (again, making a whole new type of game), or slowing leveling down an extreme amount, which would also cause more issues than it's worth.

Sure, I wasn't thinking about that problem, I was behind an utopic standpoint. That reminds me of a funny story ; once, when I was playing the Silver version, I had accidentally turned off the gameboy color when it was saving. The result was that in the area where you can fight the last guy you have fought with the yellow network cable, the pokemon were all lvl 599 or 699, i don't exactly remember. Fighting a lvl 599 Crobat with a lvl 80 Alakazam was a bit tough lol.
Anyway, the levels when you get the moves would have to be entirely reworked, and it would be a real pain.. and it would be the same with the areas. At least, having all pokemon in one single game would be great ; let's hope Nintendo will make one someday !.

@TBC wrote:
@potterman28wxcv wrote:Oh, and if it's possible, when the player starts to have some pokemon lvl 100, it would be great to make available a special area where he could beat all arena champions of a specific zone, with all their pokemon leveled to 100, and items forbidden.
There's going to be things like this in the game ^_^  I don't know about making items forbidden, but I definitely will have some end-game opportunities for players who grind.
Another suggestion, what about doing some dual battles with 2 arena champions in the same time ? that would be fun Twisted Evil 

@Tyrheon wrote:Thank you for your support, and your feedback. It's very much appreciated. May you play Pokemon games, of all sorts, for years to come!
I'm currently playing Soulsilver, investigating to know whether the game is finishable with only single pokemon (i mean, one overpowered pokemon, and the other low lvl) or not, and the Silver version is still a pleasure to play Smile

@TBC wrote:I hope to see you around the community and/or hear more suggestions
You are beating a huge project here, especially for the dialogs & adding the data. I guess implementing the xp and all systems about it have been something huge. So far so good, I do really hope the best for the future of your project !

potterman28wxcv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top