There's no Gen 2 love here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

There's no Gen 2 love here!

Post by Aridifolia on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Time to remedy this.

Generation two is my favorite, hands down. It was the first generation to introduce me to Pokemon, so there's that bias. There's just so much going for it! Not only is gen two a great sequel, but all of the pokemon are in a special place in my heart.

...And there's the fact that I fainted Ho-Oh before I realized the significance of Legendaries. I'm sure that others have made this mistake. I can't be the only one, right?
Aridifolia

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Link
Region: Johto
Friend Code: 0318-6806-6899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: There's no Gen 2 love here!

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Oh there's Gen 2 love, I can assure you that :p The forums just aren't too.... Lively, yet :p

And I'm pretty similar on that Smile I started with Pokemon Blue and loved it. But when Gold came out it was something so amazing and new. It added SO MUCH to the Pokemon experience and a lot of my fondest memories of when I was younger are coupled with my Gold version. So yeah, I have a bias as well :p G/S are my favorites, by far Very Happy

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aridifolia on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm

I still remember my biggest shock from Gold. After defeating the E4 for the first time, I thought the game was done.

Of course we all know what happens after that, but at the time, I didn't. So when Kanto was opened up, it was one of the greatest surprises I'd had in gaming.
Aridifolia

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Oh, and I knew about legendaries when I played Red/Blue so I didn't kill him on accident like that :p  But I HAVE accidentally killed ones I wanted but like knew I wanted em.   We all have our blonde moments, though :p

Oh yeah, that was amazing. I definitely wasn't expecting to be able to go to a whole other region on it. My biggest OMG moment was when I fought Red on Mt. Silver. The music, the atmosphere and the OMG I'M FIGHTING WHO I WAS BEFORE was awesome! Very Happy  Nerdgasms ^_^
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aridifolia on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh God the music! I'm not afraid to hum tunes from any generation, but Lance's theme has got to be my favorite champion theme.

But I also really loved the Alph Ruins. Both for the creepy music (radio and ambient), and for the different forms of the Unown.
Aridifolia

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:51 pm

It seems you and I have a lot of similarities in what we like on the games :p   I totally agree with you on that. There are so many times I find myself tapping to, or humming, Lance's champion music XD

And OH yeah, I loved the Alph ruins as well. Catching each unown and filling out that weird glyph thing you get was so cool. I love the mystery-type stuff surrounding it.

The surf music, too.... Oh my gosh the surf music.... I absolutely loooooooove it.  I also liked the diferent events, like the bug catching contest :p
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aridifolia on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:58 pm

I almost never one the contest tho. ;_;

Ah well, there was plenty else for me to do. Like try to hunt down the three dogs. Although that became one of the few parts about Pokemon that annoyed me: chasing down the wandering Pokemon. Never enjoyed it and the three dogs are to blame. XD
Aridifolia

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Hahahaha yeah. That was really annoying for me as well. There's a trick to it, though. Just stand at the entry point to a route and then keep walking in the route and back in the town while checking the map. Have your battle pokemon ready with a repel and when the dog comes on your route, you're guaranteed to fight it Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by ThirteenFour on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:03 am

A bit late in seeing this topic, but I'll be joining the Gen 2 love! My first game was Crystal, and that definitely sparked my love for Pokemon. I still have the cartridge near my desk if ever I decide to play it again <3

ThirteenFour

Trainer Card
Trainer Name::
Region:
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:10 am

Aye, Crystal was a good game. It's a shame, but the save battery died, and now I can't save any more -_- Oh well, I'll eventually replay it on an emulator.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 pm

@Drazex wrote:It's a shame, but the save battery died, and now I can't save any more -_-  Oh well, I'll eventually replay it on an emulator.
That blows Sad But yeah, emulators for them are always good.

And yay for more Gen 2 love!

Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by SidetracKing on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm

I'll throw in my support for gen 2 also!   Very Happy

There's just something epic about being able to take on the gym leaders in two regions in the same game, plus nostalgia value.

And I really liked the focus on nature and folklore. It gave the story a mystery and weight that it's hard to bring to the table with just science and technology (even though the mew research did a pretty good job of it for me in gen 1).
SidetracKing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 am

@SidetracKing wrote:And I really liked the focus on nature and folklore.
Going from the modern Tokyo region, to the more historic Kyoto region...  Definitely a great atmosphere for the game.

@TBC wrote:But I HAVE accidentally killed ones I wanted but like knew I wanted em.   We all have our blonde moments, though :p
I don't think I've ever done that before...  Though I do remember this one time, I was in Mt. Moon and was fighting a clefairy.  I was much more powerful than it, but I was slowly, carefully, painstakingly widdling its hp away.  Through sheer attrition, it had fainted at least one of my pokemon through sing/doubleslap combos.  And finally, finally, it was ready to try to catch with my handful of pokeballs.  I throw it...  
The trainer blocked the ball!  Don't be a thief!
...I had forgotten that I was challenged by a trainer.  That was a major derp moment for me.  XD
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 am

@Drazex wrote:I throw it...  
The trainer blocked the ball!  Don't be a thief!
...I had forgotten that I was challenged by a trainer.  That was a major derp moment for me.  XD

Oh my gosh, that would suck so bad! Quite funny, though :p

The dual region thing was a great boon for Gen 2. No other Gen has really tried something to that extent. I'm hoping I can make the Orange Islands interesting enough in Gen 0 Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 am

@TBC wrote:The dual region thing was a great boon for Gen 2.
Aye, though I can understand why they didn't do it again, unfortunately. To make them a challenge, they lowered the difficulty (read: level) of the entire game, leaving the elite four at about 13 levels lower than in the previous game (which was supposed to have occurred 3 years earlier). And then all the gym leaders in Kanto were elite four level or more...

I dunno, it always made me wonder, even when I was a kid. I would love to see more regions included, without this strangeness of having the "elite" be second-class trainers compared to the new region.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. The balancing was quite difficult to attain in that. Hell, it still even had its balancing issues. Why did you have consistent level 40+ trainers in a route with level 3-10 Pokemon? Them's be some damn determined trainers, I tell you what. XD

I actually did like the part of the Elite Four not being as high in the game. When fighting Red on Mt. Silver, it was like getting an actual end boss and made the Elite Four seem more like a middle ground than the end. I like that model, and I'm using it more for like Gen 0 in that aspect of it being in the middle.

For the gym leaders being higher, I think the anime kinda handles that. Well, if you count Origins. It shows Brock choosing his Pokemon based around Red's Pokemon. So he'd have a similar strength for them. Like level brackets.

So gym leaders would kinda scale with the player. I actually like that idea quite a bit.

Yeah, that would be cool. They'd have to change the E4 to be done more at the end rather than the middle if they did it that way, though.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 am

I agree, it would be nice to see Gyms with scaling levels.

I like the idea of the E4 being the bosses, though. Someone like Red could always be an outlier, a "secret boss", but the E4 are heralded as like the strongest people around, and are always surprised when someone actually beats them. And to have Blue with his level 63 pokemon only as a gym leader after losing champion status? Huh?

Though I think it could be cool to have trainers of mixed levels in the overworld. For player convenience, you could even have different trainer types using different levels of pokemon, kind of like how I know to run like hell when I see a frost troll at level 3 in Skyrim Razz Youngsters would probably always have like level 2-12, Rockets probably 20-30, Cooltrainers 30-40, and Experts/Ace Trainers being like level 45+.

So basically, if you see some old guy, he's probably had a lot more time to train than that little school boy Razz
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:47 am

Yeah, that is kinda silly that they'd do that lol. It's an interesting thought, how many people beat the champion and where do they go once they do? Cuz in the games you can challenge them all day err'day, so it seems like many people could challenge em.
@Drazex wrote:Though I think it could be cool to have trainers of mixed levels in the overworld.  For player convenience, you could even have different trainer types using different levels of pokemon
I actually have been planning on doing this ^_^ With KvaGram adding new features, one of them is where I can edit and specify the EVs and IVs of trainer Pokemon.

So imagine a "Breeder" trainer type who always has high or perfect IVs. Or there could be a "Rich Kid" with rare Pokemon that have really good attacks, but low IVs and erratic Evs. Plus, I plan on making traveling trainers as well. So like trainers that are journeying the region like you.

Some trainers might have just a couple very high level Pokemon, or some might have 6 normally trained ones etc. But yeah, I do like the idea of making older trainers be stronger in general.

Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:23 am

Very nice
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JJCalem on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:02 pm

I still consider Pokemon Crystal my favorite version. There were several improvements I just loved, and it was the first version you could play as a girl! Still have my cartrege for it, no idea if the battery is gone though. Not that I have a working GBC or GBA to play it on anymore,
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:22 pm

Oh yeah. It was, wasn't it? I almost remember being able to pick a girl in G/S. But yeah, it was Crystal.  I do love Crystal. I just pick G/S as my favorite, more due to nostalgia. But Crystal was fantastic. God, I miss those games.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down