Generation III remakes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Generation III remakes?

Post by Drazex on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I saw this as an idea of a post, so I figured I'd oblige by making it Razz

I personally would love to see a remake of Gen III, but at this point, I'm starting to doubt we'll get it. In both Gen III and IV, we were getting a remake of the generation 2 previous (I in III, II in IV), but Gen V has passed now, and we never got III. Although this obviously doesn't prohibit us from getting it, it does show that there is less interest in remakes.

And why is that? I think it's because of the increase in apps and emulators. Back when LGreen/FRed came out, the internet was still early into file-sharing. As such, if you wanted to play Gen I, you either could look in Gamestop or similar stores, or be SoL. Further, with Gen III breaking off link contact to older generations (due to EV's and other fundamental background programming being altered), many of us were upset that the new generation was "usurping" the series (even if we still bought/enjoyed the new versions). In this way, FRed/LGreen were a way to give accessibility to those without Gen I, and appease the fans with the ability to bring our old favorite Gen I buddies to play with our Groudon and Metagross (etc).

But now, that isn't as much of an issue. Emulators have become common place, easy to use, and offer more utility than a basic port. Further, older games are now commonly available for only a couple dollars on video game networks, such as the DS store and Wii Shop Channel. Buying an old game this way is cheaper for the fans (and Nintendo, who doesn't have to pay employees to put the remake together).

What I would love to see, though, would be either a remake or a sequel to the Gen III Orre games (Colluseum/XD for the Gamecube). We haven't had a battle-based console game since Gen IV (because it was apparently rushed out, which made it a critical failure), and so haven't had a full console RPG since Colluseum/XD. Especially with GC emulators being more finnicky than GBA emulators, and the game being more space intensive (multi Gigabyte sizes are harder to download casually to console memory), there would actually be a market for remakes, or outright sequels, especially if some dynamics were improved, and if we got to see the pokemon in really pretty 3D.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Generation III remakes?

Post by Drazex on Sat May 10, 2014 1:30 am

...And it appears that life decided to spite me. Like a week after posting why I thought it wouldn't happen, we get Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby announced XD

Well, we can't always be right, can we? Razz
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue on Sat May 10, 2014 5:43 pm

XD i know right? and personally i would love a remake of R/B/Y/G aside from fire red and leaf green.

Rogue

Trainer Card
Trainer Name::
Region:
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Personally, having retired from buying new generation games for a while, I don't mind not having another remake to tempt me to spend money I shouldn't on a 3DS Razz

But that said, it would be fun to have a remake of Yellow. Especially if they explored the connection with the anime that Yellow played with, it could be fun to do something like explore the little towns and subplots the anime had. In the Indigo League, especially, they had all of these random towns and cities that we've never seen in the games, and especially if they added more gyms, we could pretend to be Gary Mutha****in' Oak Very Happy

Yah, that's what I mean.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 am

@Drazex wrote:But that said, it would be fun to have a remake of Yellow.  Especially if they explored the connection with the anime that Yellow played with, it could be fun to do something like explore the little towns and subplots the anime had.  In the Indigo League, especially, they had all of these random towns and cities that we've never seen in the games, and especially if they added more gyms, we could pretend to be Gary Mutha****in' Oak Very Happy
THIS.  I would absolutely LOVE a remake of Yellow version.   Also, I plan on doing some of this in Gen 0, with the different towns and stuff only found in the anime. I plan on adding those a little down the line and stuff. But it's something I've always wanted to do. It would be great to add more of those locations for side areas and side-story, too.  

Thanks for reminding me Wink

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 am

No problem at all XD

It makes sense from a programming standpoint, but the pokemon games were always woefully underpopulated, imho. The war can be blamed in part for this, but even so, how does a "City" survive with ~4 houses? Getting more towns, and bigger cities, would be awesome XD
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Oh, definitely. Most of the locations in Gen 0 are bigger. Viridian City is like double the size of the one in the main games. I agree about the under population as well. I hated seeing a town or city with like 6 people total. I really want to fix that with Gen 0, too.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down