Suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions

Post by Drazex on Thu May 01, 2014 5:34 pm

I love the game so far, and can't wait to see it go further! I did have a few suggestions, some for the full game, but several specifically on how to improve the usefulness of the demo.

--A summary of controls would be nice. I was able to figure them out in time, but for new players, it would be helpful to know how to open up the menu, at the very least (like how FRed/LGreen gave controls exposition in the beginning)
--The game doesn't handle walking into scenery well, and interferes with movement long enough to make talking to NPC's difficult at times (walk into them, and they walk away before the game lets you talk to them). Changing directions quickly has the same problem. Is there a way to activate people/items while the sprites are still moving, to prevent the lag?
--Stairs are deceptive in the mountains. They are 1 space wide, but look like they're 3 spaces wide. Especially given how inconvenient running into things is (see the above point), it can be rather inconvenient. Could you either expand the stairs to three spaces, or reduce the sprite to make it easier to see where they are?
--For the demo especially, and maybe also for the full game, could we get a way to modify game-time in-game? You've got enough time-based events, that it's a bit inconvenient to have to wait for a given time (and I for one am not a fan of messing with my computer's clock). Similar time-events in other games have means for changing time (Elder Scrolls has the "wait" command, Majora's Mask lets you skip ahead to dawn or dusk), so something similar would be nice here.
--For moving pokemon in PC boxes, could we have a "yellow hand" type option like in Gen III? It's nice to have a button to toggle movement as the default, rather than having to say "menu> pick up" "menu> drop" every time you want to move a pokemon.
--Could the move set of gastly be modified? Having a ghost pokemon, with ghost/status moves (sans hidden power) is inconvenient in a normal-type heavy start. I got stuck in a 20 minute see-who-can-run-out-of-PP-and-win-with-struggle-first competition with the jr/sr double battlers (spoilers, they won). It would be nice to have something, even something weak, to be able to do *something* in that kind of stalemate.
--For the demo: Helpful Abra is great, but could he give us 5 pokeballs instead of 1? For testing purposes, if we want pokeballs, we usually need a bunch, and so the higher quantity per click would be nice.
--Could we get a music on/off switch in the options menu? It's nice to be able to listen to other music on my computer while playing (even great music gets old after a while). While for emulators or handhelds the volume control is handled by the container, as an independent application, it would be nice to get some integrated volume controls in Gen 0.
--For the demo: Can we get some repels? It's kinda tiring running back and forth and dealing with all the wild pokemon when working on testing stuff, rather than actually playing the game.

Hope these suggestions help ^_^'
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How did my suggestions compare to v0.6

Post by Drazex on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 am

Drazex wrote:--A summary of controls would be nice.  I was able to figure them out in time, but for new players, it would be helpful to know how to open up the menu, at the very least (like how FRed/LGreen gave controls exposition in the beginning)
Right on the main screen, woot! ^_^

Drazex wrote:--The game doesn't handle walking into scenery well, and interferes with movement long enough to make talking to NPC's difficult at times (walk into them, and they walk away before the game lets you talk to them).  Changing directions quickly has the same problem.
Fixed! ^_^

Drazex wrote:--Stairs are deceptive in the mountains.  They are 1 space wide, but look like they're 3 spaces wide.
Still a problem, unfortunately. I found myself running into stairs on the way to Sam.

Drazex wrote:--Could the move set of gastly be modified? Having a ghost pokemon, with ghost/status moves (sans hidden power) is inconvenient in a normal-type heavy start.
Frustration! ^_^ 20 PP is great, thanks!

Well, 3 of 4 tested suggestions so far is looking great XD
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions

Post by mistercrime on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:03 am

And here we're still waiting for sound control, hopefully not for long as it should be like GUI control and few lines of code to deal with it. I think having something like:

"SOUND: 0 25 50 75 100"

would help a lot in settings, then it just needs to be divided with 100 as far as I remember how sound control code usually goes.

mistercrime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Drazex wrote:A summary of controls would be nice.  I was able to figure them out in time, but for new players, it would be helpful to know how to open up the menu, at the very least
Yeah I derped and took it out of one of the old versions by accident. I was editing the opening and hit delete one too many times and deleted the command to bring it up DX hahahaha. But yeah, it's there now Smile I may change it more to look cooler later also.
Drazex wrote:The game doesn't handle walking into scenery well, and interferes with movement long enough to make talking to NPC's difficult at times (walk into them, and they walk away before the game lets you talk to them).  Changing directions quickly has the same problem.  Is there a way to activate people/items while the sprites are still moving, to prevent the lag?
I'm not really sure what you mean here, but I'm glad it was fixed for you Smile I'm assuming it was a lag thing, which I've been working to ameliorate.
Drazex wrote:Stairs are deceptive in the mountains.  They are 1 space wide, but look like they're 3 spaces wide.  Especially given how inconvenient running into things is (see the above point), it can be rather inconvenient.  Could you either expand the stairs to three spaces, or reduce the sprite to make it easier to see where they are?
Ah, yeah. I can totally see how that would be confusing. It actually annoyed me a bit, too XD But I never really thought to change it hahahaha. I'll make sure to get it changed when I next sit down for some game dev Very Happy
Drazex wrote:For the demo especially, and maybe also for the full game, could we get a way to modify game-time in-game?  You've got enough time-based events, that it's a bit inconvenient to have to wait for a given time (and I for one am not a fan of messing with my computer's clock).  Similar time-events in other games have means for changing time (Elder Scrolls has the "wait" command, Majora's Mask lets you skip ahead to dawn or dusk), so something similar would be nice here.
That's not going to happen, sorry. If you look at like Pokemon Gold/Silver and whatnot, and I think even Ni No Kuni didn't let you either, but G/S had a set time thing. You could modify the time on the DS and stuff I suppose. But yeah.

I want the day/night system to specifically work the way it is set up now. There is going to be some daytime-only content as well as some nighttime-only stuff. But story things and like more major secrets won't be time-dependent. Like you're not going to miss out on anything too terribly by not playing during the day or night or whatever. The comp time is there to change if you really want to. But it's meant to be experienced in real time. Plus, the coding doesn't allow it since it grabs your computer time to work lol.
Drazex wrote:For moving pokemon in PC boxes, could we have a "yellow hand" type option like in Gen III?  It's nice to have a button to toggle movement as the default, rather than having to say "menu> pick up" "menu> drop" every time you want to move a pokemon.
I'll look into that.
Drazex wrote:Could the move set of gastly be modified?  Having a ghost pokemon, with ghost/status moves (sans hidden power) is inconvenient in a normal-type heavy start.  I got stuck in a 20 minute see-who-can-run-out-of-PP-and-win-with-struggle-first competition with the jr/sr double battlers (spoilers, they won).  It would be nice to have something, even something weak, to be able to do *something* in that kind of stalemate.
I'm glad Frustration worked well for you =3
Drazex wrote:For the demo:  Helpful Abra is great, but could he give us 5 pokeballs instead of 1?  For testing purposes, if we want pokeballs, we usually need a bunch, and so the higher quantity per click would be nice.
I see what you mean. Though, with the next update, this will be a moot point as you'll have money for balls and I'll be adding in apricorns soon, too.
Drazex wrote:Could we get a music on/off switch in the options menu?  It's nice to be able to listen to other music on my computer while playing (even great music gets old after a while).  While for emulators or handhelds the volume control is handled by the container, as an independent application, it would be nice to get some integrated volume controls in Gen 0.
This was added in recently with the Pokessentials update, actually Smile So in the next update you'll be able to modify the music and sound volume independently in-game.
Drazex wrote:For the demo:  Can we get some repels?  It's kinda tiring running back and forth and dealing with all the wild pokemon when working on testing stuff, rather than actually playing the game.
I could definitely add some of these in as quest rewards and stuff. yeah Smile
Thanks for the suggestions!!!

mistercrime wrote:And here we're still waiting for sound control, hopefully not for long as it should be like GUI control and few lines of code to deal with it. I think having something like:

"SOUND: 0   25   50  75   100"

would help a lot in settings, then it just needs to be divided with 100 as far as I remember how sound control code usually goes.
Actually wrong on both accounts there :p I've made posts and videos showing that volume editing is going to be a thing in the next update.

There's the video I show it off Very Happy In addition to the new Pokecries, too.

And the coding isn't as easy as you said rofl. I've seen the code for it, and it was quite a bit of code to do it. Assumptions aren't always correct Wink

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mistercrime on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:31 am

Well, that's wierd, so far every time I've came across sounds and similar things they were really easy to code. Tho might be that I'm used to code in C family, and if possible nice OOP structure that helps with that kind of thing. I guess I'll have to take a look at how this was done, and what are possibilities of framework.

If you wish to get some help from me, just contact me. Wink

mistercrime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Well this is Ruby. It probably has a different structure. But yeah. Kvagram is a great coder and wasn't able to do an easy way to make a volume slider. He could explain why better, but yeah :p But the recent Essentials Update added it in. So in about two weeks when I update the demo it'll be there :3

Oh you code? You should check out RPG Maker XP and download the Essentials Starter Kit. If you think you can code with that, definitely email me (pokemongen0@gmail.com) or message me on the Gen 0 FB page.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down