Hydro Haven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hydro Haven

Post by Hydro on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 am

Well.... I might've said this before in some other posts, but I have been working on my own fan-game separate to this site. I do this on my own site: Hydro Haven. If any of you are interested in that, you can check it out over there...

Just because I don't want this to be an advertisemnt only, I thought I'd post some of what I've finished here....

The Current Map: (Hoenn is in there for size reference, and the floating cities/pallet in the middle are for edits...)

I'm kind of curious if anyone can recognize the region it is based on...

I'll leave this blank until someone can guess... Razz

I can and will post some of the pokemon we are working on, but they are all works in progress, and I'd like to see someone guess the region properly before giving it away with the pokemon that inhabit it... There is the link I gave above if you really want to see our sprites (and also my avatar)...

"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world"
Hydro

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Quinlan
Region: Hoenn
Friend Code: 3926-5951-3699

View user profile http://z15.invisionfree.com/Hydro_Haven/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: Hydro Haven

Post by TBC on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Neat!  I have no idea what the region could be based off of, though o.0

I had a look around your forums. Is it an RP game? Or is it going to be a video game? I could never really get into the RPG Pokemon games, lol.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 pm

It's a bit of both, with other add-ons...
The game creation pages are for members only, but the overall text RPG is kind of a brainstorm of what to add... I was lazy, and could only think of that as an addition to the game, and it seemed to have gone over well with the few members I have... Razz

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world"
Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:41 am

Well that's pretty cool! I think a Pokemon RP section could do well here. I just can't really get into it myself lol. The closest I get to RPing is being in-character while I'm gaming. It's odd. I love anime video games and writing, but I don't like to RP :p

I look forward to seeing more with your game ^_^  If you have any other screenshots, videos or whatever, add them here Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 pm

...Orange Islands maybe? Dunno what region it could be based upon :/

Rping? Yeah, it could be interesting, though I would never be able to finish it. I just prefer writing most of the time.

Hydro Haven, huh... Wonder how this whole water theme thing will turn out!

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Region: Unova
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:05 am

Yeah, most people tend not to like RPing... I actually don't either Razz
On the contrary, I LOVE moderating. Playing god for a while seems to do me in Razz

Wow, I was expecting people to guess it just based on a map... (It's a real-world based location...)
Well as a hint: I'm a historian/History-Nut/Archaeologist...
That might help, and if not.... Here's a sample of my spriting...

Some of these were made with the help of other members of my website. Most are forms of splices, but all have scratching done on them. I'll post some of my in-game route maps here... on the next post. They're all on a separate computer that needs to charge a while before I can use it...
Hope you guys like the sprites! Remember that they are all works in progress...
Oh and some of the pokemon are starters... So you might need to guess which Razz

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 am

Heh, Greece, right? Archipelago nation, both ancient and historical, boasting mythology such as the minotaur, chimera, Cretan bull, and those metal birds who's feathers are like arrows.

I'm guessing the chimera and hippocampus are two of the starters.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Nice, Hydro!  I was gonna guess Egyptian, but Grecian(is that right? lol) sounds more plausible. And okay, cool! it will be neat to see the routes Very Happy  

The sprites are good Smile They definitely need some work, but I like them Smile Though you can definitely tell where you took a Snubble and Altaria lol. For the starters... I'm not sure. I'm guessing the blue dood is one, and the bird?
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:19 pm

The term I think you're trying to use is "Greek"...
Yeah both of them are starters, and the pane is the third starter, but he has some additions still being worked on...

Oh yeah, they all definitely need work, some more than others, and some a lot more than others... Razz
Altaria actually wasn't used at all for that sprite... The electric "starter" is a complete scratch by another member on my site... A lot of influence from altaria, but not any actual pieces....
Yeah, the pigmy is a snubble clone... I'm working on the eyes, the only major part left... And then mighty give him/her a recolor....

And the routes: (They are all works in progress, and some have been scrapped entirely. I just grabbed the first 5 I could see...)

This one has differences in the roof tiles of your house, determined by the starter you choose...

Only part of the route, cause it's a pretty big one...

Currently scrapped... Awaiting edits/redesign... I do have the inside of the house done though:

Those are caged pokemon, btw......

Currently scrapped... Working on a custom tileset that will include stone tents...

Yeah... That's it for now... I'm still working on them (haven't touched them in a while... but exams....).
Just remember that all are subject to change, and will be improved dramatically in the future...

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Coolio!! Smile

Also, no. I meant Grecian ^_^

Nice so far with the maps Smile I think the grass patches in the one route need some work and the outside of the town could use some more filler, but otherwise it looks good so far Smile
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:31 am

Alrighty...
Then yes, most definitely... Razz
It's right now current Greece though... With most of the new pokemon I'm working on introduced via time-travel mechanics... So, Greek for the map, Grecian for the pokemon... Razz

Thank you!
Working on filler content as of now. If you look closely, on the first town, you can see there is a cut branch giving access to the outer portion to the right... So it is intentionally left quite open and blank (As to trick people of it's access...).
The grass patches on which of the two? The second (Smaller one) has been scrapped as of now, because of it's oversimplification...

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Cool!  Time travel and Pokemon would be fun Very Happy  Definitely make sure to make some cool type match-ups Very Happy   Are you going to add any additional types? I've always wanted to see Light done in the games or something.

Coolio ^_^ And I meant the bigger one. Unless you're going for very unkempt grass and stuff, it's little convoluted. You want to have some spots of the route without battles and that's where you'd have NPCs and stuff.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:45 pm

Yes, there were plans to make additional types, along with editing mashups of current type resistances in time periods... Not sure when I'll get to that though... (Steel would be weaker before the modern era, and in the ancient era it would be bronze. Would need to recolor the pokemon too...) Light was planned for semi-pokemon you could fight.... Named Aether, for mythical reference...

Unkempt Grass was the idea, along with few trainers, more random encounters... (This is modern Greece, and all the images I shared were of Crete, a low population, and low tourism destination... The larger forest is somewhat populated, the smaller only has 2 npcs, one of them in the house...
The reason there is no appeared npcs though, is because I haven't made teams for them yet. Also, I always wanted to give the player the opportunity to sneak behind them through the wild grass spots...

Also, two maps that have been in development for a while.... Not that great, still working out the kinks, but thought this would be a good place to get some criticism and feedback to help...

Desert Map, still really need work on this one... Meant to be more mountains around it, and a link to a volcanic area (Where the stairs are)...

A highly industrial city, and all of those houses are warehouses... In development, and working on many of the indoor maps. This one's been one I've been working on for a while, and I can't quite get around the building of/in it...
I really want a central hub for npcs to run around, but then the map grows too large, and I'm wanting to make this a compact city, build on top of itself for the most part...
The gym is also taking a lot of time, since there will be custom sprites...

Last edited by Hydro on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updating images)

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Hydro wrote:Yes, there were plans to make additional types, along with editing mashups of current type resistances in time periods... Not sure when I'll get to that though... (Steel would be weaker before the modern era, and in the ancient era it would be bronze. Would need to recolor the pokemon too...) Light was planned for semi-pokemon you could fight.... Named Aether, for mythical reference..
I'm not to big on nerfing steel and changing it's type. I think making an entirely different type in its place would be cool. Like maybe not have any metal-ish type and switch it out for Aether. That, or you could have a "Gold" type. Still a metal, but not seeming like a direct downgrade. Give it different properties. Instead of being high in atk and defense, like steel, it's weak in defense but high in atk and spd?

Hydro wrote:Unkempt Grass was the idea, along with few trainers, more random encounters... (This is modern Greece, and all the images I shared were of Crete, a low population, and low tourism destination... The larger forest is somewhat populated, the smaller only has 2 npcs, one of them in the house...
Okiedokes Smile It still looks a bit off to me, though. Like I think you could still achieve what you're going for and have it look a little less convoluted. But it still works Smile

Map 1:
I can't say a whole ton, because it isn't really close to being done yet. I'd need to see the finished product before giving any real criticisms and stuff. However, on first glance....
  • The space above the entrance to the cave needs more debris. It should be consistent with the rest of the mountain, as you've added debris elsewhere. And it helps clutter empty space.
  • As I said, the map isn't done, but empty space is a big problem here. The desert in the middle, unless you plan on having events or a puzzle there, is far too open. I'm assuming the area in the northeast isn't finished yet. So that would be more filled out.
  • The southwest area needs more in it as well, mountain-wise. Add some more rocks, little mountain sections or maybe even a geodude or somethin.
  • If you're going to have that many trees in the oasis, you're gonna need bigger water and more grass there. I'd also suggest trying to find palm trees.

Otherwise it's lookin good Very Happy

Map 2:
The map looks pretty solid Very Happy Only suggestion I would make is moving the garden a few tiles to the right. They seem to like the symmetry in stuff, so the garden being off-centered like that doesn't match the feel of the rest of the town.

Overall it's looking nice! I can't wait to see what else you do with the game Smile
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 am

TBC wrote:That, or you could have a "Gold" type. Still a metal, but not seeming like a direct downgrade
Personally, I think a Bronze type would be ideal given the setting. I agree with not making it a nerf, rather have them strong in other areas, though. Maybe decrease attack and defense, and give them good sp. def and a decent sp. atk?
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am

First of all, let e start off with a big thank you for your feedback. This really helps a lot, and I'll try to do your suggestions justice....

I hadn't planned on nerfing the type's stats at all, only it's resistances... I like the idea of increased speed, as it would be a lighter metal, so I may go in that direction... At least for some pokemon.
I had planned on making the bronze type resist the following: Bug, Fairy, Flying, Grass, Normal, Psychic, Rock, and Bronze.
Where it's weaknesses would be Ground, Fighting, Fire and Steel.
In short, It'd have the same resistances ins Ice and Dragon. I was planning on playing around with that, but I think the stat alterations you guys have suggested might do it even better.
s
As for the maps... I've just made the alteration of the garden, and you were right, a tile to the right helps quite a bit.
As for the desert... I have been working on some code that makes portions of the desert impossibly long. (If you take a step in a path that differs from the maze path, you will continue walking in place (With your footsteps still lagging behind you, which was what the code was needed for...). Because of the endless regression, most of it needed to be empty... I've been working on that map for quite some time, and it still needs a lot of work.... I made some of the edits to the southeastern corner... Adding some mountains, rocks, etc... I've also finished the mountain toward the top, however am still working on the tileset that will add lava into this map... The palm trees will also need to wait until I finish y tileset...

One thing I might not have made clear before, but might as well clarify now: I have a completely custom tileset in the works, and am going to replace most of these maps entirely when I do indeed finish it... The vanilla tiles here are just for reference, and to understand the basic layout of the map...
The tileset isn't going to be too different, since I don't want to be overly ambitious at the moment, but it should be enough to give some originality to my game...l

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:17 am

Well, it's been a while since I've made any post on the forum... Mostly due to the fact that all the threads I was active on had died, and didn't feel there would be purpose to interjecting other threads...

So in order to get in at least a little bit more, I thought I'd give an update on my game...

The base overworld map has been completed, I believe. I've rendered it in GenIII graphics to demonstrate the layout, but artists attached to the project are working a unique design and/or a higher graphic quality. Well, without further delay, the map that will be displayed in all pokemon centers, and the map as first given to you is:

Do note that hoenn is on the map purely to give scale of the size of the map.

I've also been playing around with the code and game mechanics and created multiple (and I mean multiple) Mystery spots. I've started working on a story of the origins of mystery spots, but as for the map itself with the inclusion of mystery spots and other postgame hidden routes and cities:

Again, hoenn is just for scale, and grids are to determine cursor, character icon, and flight locations.

I've been spending most time working on dialogue and the story of the game, so little I can show here. I am planning to have four choices of protagonist characters, quadruplets/tetraplets so there's a pretty unique dynamic I need to thoroughly plan out for it to not entirely flop. As an avid historian, with subject matter of historical/mythological relevance, I also don't want any portion of it to be too far skewed from it's base, but I want to have it original. Fine lines I need to walk over, that I've ended up trampling and jumping to extremes over the last month...

Well, getting off my unrelated tangent, I've made little physical progress past story script and the maps. My tileset is still in progress, and so are the sprites for characters and pokemon. With dialogue, trainers and wild pokemon, I have completed up to the first gym. So once the sprites for the first 3 pokemon to be introduced are finished, and the sprites for the gym leader and his underlings are completed, and the final touches to dialogue between the rivals I should be able to publish and Alpha demo.

Last edited by Hydro on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correcting image)

Hydro

Trainer Card

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:24 pm

Hydro wrote:Well, it's been a while since I've made any post on the forum... Mostly due to the fact that all the threads I was active on had died, and didn't feel there would be purpose to interjecting other threads...
Well that's a stupid reason to not post lol. I have an encouraged policy for necro-posting. Most forums don't like it, but I think it's awesome to post in old threads and revive discussions.

Also, if topics are dieing(which they do, they're not meant to be immortal... Every conversation lives and dies), then make new ones.

Anywho

It's looking good!!!  Pretty large region, too. A lot of water areas. You may run into similar balance issues I'm running into with a large game and trying not to overlevel the player lol.   And oh yeah, secret areas are totally a necessity too :p

When you get a demo ready, let me know! I'd love to play it. I'm gonna be doing some massive story updates and writing once I get Agatha's Demo to Pewter City and get Sam's demo caught up.

EDIT: I forgot the second post you made! Very Happy Well, the first. lol. Also, make sure to use the edit button! Very Happy

Hydro wrote:First of all, let e start off with a big thank you for your feedback. This really helps a lot, and I'll try to do your suggestions justice....
You're very welcome!!!! I'm glad I can help Smile

Hydro wrote:I was planning on playing around with that, but I think the stat alterations you guys have suggested might do it even better.
Awesome! Yeah, it would be pretty neat to have some stat changes as well as the changes in resistances.

Hydro wrote:As for the maps... I've just made the alteration of the garden, and you were right, a tile to the right helps quite a bit.
Woot!
Hydro wrote:As for the desert... I have been working on some code that makes portions of the desert impossibly long. (If you take a step in a path that differs from the maze path, you will continue walking in place (With your footsteps still lagging behind you, which was what the code was needed for...).
Ooooooh, interesting. Like the stairs in Mario 64 Very Happy I like it. I hope you can get it to work!
Hydro wrote:I have a completely custom tileset in the works, and am going to replace most of these maps entirely when I do indeed finish it.
Sweet! That's my goal for Gen 0. I'm using some open-source tiles right now with various custom ones. But I would like it to be 100% custom by the end of everything.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by JJCalem on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Wow this looks impressive, quite the large scale comparing it to Hoenn, and with time travel!

Is this still being worked on?
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:09 pm

JJCalem wrote:Is this still being worked on?

I'd like to know that myself!! @Hydro hasn't been around in awhile... So yeah. But I'd love to see updates! Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down