Shiny Paintbrush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shiny Paintbrush

Post by JJCalem on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:02 am

Since there is no multiplayer aspect to Gen 0 it makes sense that we get ways we can boost our chances of encountering a shiny Pokemon. One way this could be done is through a held item, and I think I came up with a good quest to get such an item.

Somewhere will be a small studio where an artist lives. He is a wonderful artist, except one thing, the colours in his paintings are always wrong. Convinced it is because of the inferior paint he is using he starts you on the side quest to help him create better paints.

So first one by one he has you get Red, Yellow and Blue Pigment. These would be key items you get from artist in different parts of the region, and perhaps need to do short quests for to actually get the pigments.

In spite of his wonderful new paints however he still finds his Pokemon all end up the wrong colours. Graping at straws he guesses his brush is to blame. To get him a new brush you will be pointed towards someone you can get a high quality handle from, and Meowth wiskers (for paintbrush bristles of course. Cats shed their whiskers, so perhaps there can be a crazy Meowth lady somewhere you could get some from?). If you wanted another step you could always include a craftsman to put them together, otherwise the artist could do that himself.

With his new brush in hand the artist tries to paint a picture of the first Pokemon in your party. A time-lapse indicated by a fade out and in of the screen later he proclaims it picture is perfect, and happily gives you his old brush as way of thanks.

This item would be Strange Brush, and when held by a Pokemon in your party will increase the chances of seeing a shiny Pokemon.
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shiny Paintbrush

Post by Drazex on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 am

That would be awesome XD I love the quest idea, as well as the item.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:40 pm

This is genius. I don't think I have anything else to say. Wait, never mind.
An extra neat thing I'd love to see though would be this guy give you a lv.5 Smeargle as a gift with the Brush, one because I believe I kinda makes sense, and two ebcause he'd be some sort of guest pokemon. The artist's supposed to be exceptional, so he'd have an exceptional partner. That quest for instance, when done with Oak, would maybe be one of the factor why'd he'd choose the species of pokemons, as he'd realize that there are still some that he doesn't at all know of.

Now that's just a backup suggestion, mostly fueled by the fact that I love Smeargle.

Anyways... So yeah you're idea's amazing. I hope it can indeed be made.
Tortwag

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Region: Unova
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Holy shit, awesome!

I don't normally say anything definitive for suggestions.... But I'm gonna go with a flat out yes on this. 100% yes. That totally reminded me of the hammer quest in Chrono Cross. I love it Very Happy

Well, Smeargle appears in the Altering Cave... Not directly in Kanto... But enough where I could always make him be the partner of the dood. I don't know about giving it to the player though. Possibly.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 am

You could possibly include a battle with the guy to calm him at the beginning of the quest, when he is frustrated... Just an idea...
I love the content of this though, the quest was well thought out, and the item makes a lot of sense for a single player game...
Another idea though, would be having this help breeding too, a replacement of the masuda method, which would not work in a singleplayer game... (This is coming from an active breeder...)

"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world"
Hydro

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Quinlan
Region: Hoenn
Friend Code: 3926-5951-3699

View user profile http://z15.invisionfree.com/Hydro_Haven/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by JJCalem on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:38 am

I imagine the brush would affect if newly hatched Pokemon were shiny/not.  If not we always could come up with a quest for some sort of Shiny Incubator Razz
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:52 am

Regarding smeargle, it's also worth noting that it could be found in the Ruins of Alph in gen II, which is reasonably close to Kanto. It would be pretty easy for a trainer to get a smeargle over the "border" as it were, even if its a little on the long side for a wild pokemon.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Actually, a few trainers from Fire Red after the League has been defeated use Smeargle. One of which (that I used to train against over and over again) having Mega Horn. Not sure if it counts as a direct appearance since you can't really catch it, but... Gah, I guess it's my fanboyism showin' off here.
I love Smeargle. Can't help it.

Oh yeah, a shiny incubator thing could be nice as well. Shiny babies *_* I dig that idea.

Kind of agree with Drazex here, that would POSSIBLY be another reason to include good ol' Smeargle in that thing.
...I'm being desperate, aren't I...

Last edited by Tortwag on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 pm

@Tortwag wrote:Kind of agree with Drazex here, that would POSSIBLY be another reason to include good ol' Smeargle in that thing.
...I'm being desperate, aren't I...
Yes you are :p  But that's okay! :p  I think between Smeargle appearing in that one cave and being close like Drazex stated, I wouldn't mind the guy having it in the event. I'm not so sure if I'll make it able to be caught. But it may be cool for some sort of prize. We'll have to see ^_^
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 pm

*is slightly reassured* That's good to know. You have no idea how frustrated I was to battle him in Fire Red and not being able to catch it.
That aside, as long as Calem's idea is accepted with a big yes, I'm already satisfied, cause yeah it sounds awesome.

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Hahahaha yeah. But that doesn't guarantee that the player will be able to get him. But I will definitely look into it Smile   But yeah, the Shiny Paintbrush idea was awesome Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down