What if: we had P2P online capabilities.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What if: we had P2P online capabilities.

Post by KvaGram on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 am

So... What if we managed to get some kind of peer to peer capabilities, making trading and 1v1 multiplayer battles possible, what could we do then?

I have looked around, it seems RPG maker XP is capable for online use, but I know of no script for it.
If we were to go for it, we would likely have to write it ourself.
And so I have this What-if thread about P2P online.

My idea:
Trading across fan-games.
I have been a bit impressed with Hydro Haven by @Hydro, so what if we could trade between the games?
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What if: we had P2P online capabilities.

Post by Drazex on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 am

Being able to trade (even if not battle) would be cool, though I personally would be more interested in seeing the game grow versus delays due to working out online connectivity. Similarly, it would be very cool to connect the fan games, but I'm not sure how much additional coding would be required to make the pokemon sets, abilities, etc compatible.

I guess to say it briefly: This is a great idea, but I'd rather see the game itself grow larger before adding other functions to it.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:23 am

I've been aware that RMXP has base online capabilities for some years now. However, finding RMXP games in general is scarce, let alone finding any in a Pokemon game.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I don't plan on having online features for Gen 0 in almost any capacity. I would be open to a Mystery Gift system of sorts. Even giving out Pokemon as events and stuff. I'd actually like that. However, P2P trading or battling. No, I don't think that would work.

From game-to-game, it would be insanely hard to make it work without the Pokemon crashing the game. Hydro plans on adding new types and altering various aspects of the Pokemon there. Between that, I don't think it would work well between different games. It'd be kinda cool, I just don't think it would work.

As far as Gen 0 <----> Gen 0 trading or battling? Again that's not really my goal for this. Gen 0 is an RPG first. A lot of the conventions of Pokemon games are, purposely, being left at the door when coming into this. One of those things that I do not want muddling the story is online experiences.

I'll bring in some videos which kind of discuss my views on this.

The video below discusses mechanics and how they relate to the story. In some cases, it postulates, mechanics can get in the way of narrative. This is my reasoning behind the denial of P2P online capabilities. In the vision I have for Generation 0, it would undermine the narrative and the goal I have for the game.

This video more goes along a different route. Discussing how mechanics can drastically change a narrative or setting. What if you put bayonetta action in Silent Hill? etc. Again, I believe online capabilities would draw away from Gen 0's purpose. While something like a Mystery Gift option could help enhance the story, given how I would include it.

The last point would be the sheer amount of cost, time and effort that would go into a feature that really wouldn't ultimately benefit the game itself(given that I'm going for a narrative RPG of Pokemon, not a competitive peer-to-peer style game). As KvaGram stated, there isn't really any scripts to plug-in-and-play or work with. These online functions would have to be created from scratch.

On top of that being a hell of a lot of work, I'm pretty sure servers would have to be involved with that. It'd be a hefty amount of money for them. If it could be done utilizing the user's internet, I guess the server part wouldn't matter. However, there's still the issue of amount of time put into it and the lack of importance on the feature itself(for this game specifically).

In summation, I am fully in support of Mystery Gift for items/Pokemon, but I do not feel peer-to-peer battling and trading fit in with the vision I have for Generation 0.

Anyway, after you check those videos and think about my points, you can bring the pitchforks out :p Sorry guys lol.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 am

Well, no pitchforks here. You basically said exactly what I did, just in a lot more detail, TBC. Razz (Also, said it from the development side rather than the watcher side)

I'm not sure if I agree with the first video, but I agree a lot with that second video (in everything but the comparison of Bioshocks. I actually felt exactly the *opposite* about the two Bioshocks. I found Infinite incredibly immersive, far more than Bio 1)
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top