Happy/Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years/Emperor's Birthday/Yule/Solstice/Saturnalia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you celebrate Christmas?

50% 50% 
[ 2 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]
25% 25% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Happy/Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years/Emperor's Birthday/Yule/Solstice/Saturnalia

Post by Drazex on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:21 am

Happy Holidays, and Merry Christmas from Japan!  Christmas may still be a couple days away, and other holidays longer from then or already occurred, but especially give we have folks in Europe, Asia, and North America (at least), I figured now was a good time to wish everyone the best this holiday season, in time for infrequent visitors to actually see it.  santa  (Also, today is the Emperor's Birthday.  Gee it must suck to have a B-Day 2 days from Xmas.)

So Merry Christmas to all (as a secular holiday if not a religious one), and to all, a Christmas quiz:
1.)  What are the two most traditional foods to eat on Christmas in Japan?
2.)  What awesomely shaped Christmas tree was on display in a major shopping mall in Tokyo this winter?
3.)  How many days off do the Japanese get during the Christmas week, and when?
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Happy/Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years/Emperor's Birthday/Yule/Solstice/Saturnalia

Post by TBC on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:39 am

Merry Christmas!

I guess I have to go with the second one, even though it's inaccurate. It isn't Christ's Mass..... It's celebrating the birth of Christ.

Anywhozers. Yeah, that's what I do ^_^ Though we do the gift thing of course, but it's more about family. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters. Some of them have kids. We all got together and did secret santa. Only spent up to $25 on the stuff. But it was nice just exchanging a gift that was from the heart and getting some real family time and eating a big dinner with the family ^_^ My sister's birthday actually IS Christmas, too, lol.

So Merry Christmas in a non-secular way! FUCK POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!

I believe Chicken is one of the foods. But I don't know the other. As for the rest? I have utterly no idea rofl.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Happy/Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years/Emperor's Birthday/Yule/Solstice/Saturnalia

Post by Drazex on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 am

TBC wrote:I guess I have to go with the second one, even though it's inaccurate. It isn't Christ's Mass..... It's celebrating the birth of Christ.
From Wiki: Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass")
I generally don't say things without some degree of research in them Razz

I personally celebrate Xmas secularly, but to each their own. So, fuck political correctness, I'm going to wish you happy Saturnalia in a totally secular way Razz

But yah, about the same celebration regardless of religious intent. It's just nice to get together with family and share the spirit of the season. Despite being in Japan, I was still able to at least Skype with my folks, so it still sorta counted Wink

And as for the quiz:
Quiz Answers:
1.) Christmas Cake and Fried Chicken. Christmas Cake is basically just a sponge cake, and you were correct about it being chicken, TBC, but specifically it's *fried* chicken. KFC, specifically, is most traditional.

2.) Gojira! Yes, a Tokyo mall had like a 2-3 ft tall Christmas Tree carved into the shape of Godzilla, and then decorated with lights XD

3.) The Japanese get 1 day off during the Christmas week. They get the 23rd off, because it's the Emperor's Birthday. Christmas? That's a work day. They just party after work at night. Some of my students were amazed that the *only* day the store I used to work at closed was Christmas day.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Drazex wrote:From Wiki:  Christmas or Christmas Day (Old English: Crīstesmæsse, meaning "Christ's Mass")
I generally don't say things without some degree of research in them Razz
There may be an etymological point to that, but it doesn't mean the point of Christmas is about Christ's mass..... Unless they were talking about Mass in a 'church' sense or something. Like what Jesus taught. But Christmas was largely adopted from a pagan holidy, and originated more to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

Drazex wrote:Christmas Cake and Fried Chicken.  Christmas Cake is basically just a sponge cake, and you were correct about it being chicken, TBC, but specifically it's *fried* chicken.  KFC, specifically, is most traditional.
Oooh yeah! I remember learning about the KFC part from Sensei in the culture studies now :p At least I had some of it XD
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:24 pm

TBC wrote:Unless they were talking about Mass in a 'church' sense or something.
Of course we'd be talking about Mass in the sense of the religious service XD

(...why else would I have capitalized it? Razz)
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KvaGram on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Drazex wrote:Happy/Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/New Years/Emperor's Birthday/Yule/Solstice/Saturnalia

Yule... Never actually thought about it, but yeah.
"Jul" is what we call Christmas here in Norway, "Yule" is clearly an alternate spelling.
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top