Original Pokemon Tabletop RPG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Original Pokemon Tabletop RPG

Post by Drazex on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:01 am

A.) Introduction
So, originally I went into a far more detailed opener, but then I accidentally nudged the back button and lost it, so this time I'm going with a much shorter version >.>

I created this system years ago on a whim, and during brief playtesting, found that it was way too calculation intensive, and so put it aside.  I'm posting it here mostly because it would make a great system for a pokemon video game than for its actual viability as a TRPG.  Also, it's fun to see stuff like this ^_^''

My goal was to make a game that blended authenticity to the original game mechanics, a sense of realism, and some of the elements shown in the anime or suggested in the games or anime.  So as such, I should start with an introduction of how the pokemon game mechanics work.  For reference, these are gen III mechanics, so some aspects have changed (and all of them might have).

B.) Classic Mechanics
Just a disclaimer, I'm writing this in a manner that assumes that you, the reader, already know optimization terms like "IV's" and "EV's".  If you don't understand a term, feel free to ask me.

First, we have damage.  Damage is really simple, just follow this formula:

Simple, right?  :^P  Although seriously, though it looks a bit overly complicated, it's pretty straight forward, with the random "+2" in some places ensuring an attack won't do too little damage (no attack will do less than 2 damage, unless it isn't very effective).  "RND" is a random number between 85 and 100, just to make it a little random.

Stats and hp are slightly easier.  They're calculated as:  

For non-hp stats, nature is either 1.1 if favorable, or 0.9 if unfavorable.

Then you have Exp, which is really easy for 3 of the 6 models, and then ridiculously complicated for the other 3.  Instead of listing them, I'm just going to link to the Bulbapedia article.  To summarize, two of them are piecewise functions, but all of them are generally some form of cubic equation.

Finally, you have the most complicated formula:  pokemon catching.  You start with the catch value, and then from that, you can calculate the probability that the pokemon will be caught.

This chance is then checked 4 times.  If all four come back caught, then you catch it.  (If it fails the first check, you get "Oh no!  The Pokemon broke free!"  Second check, "Aw, it appeared to be caught!", etc)

C.) My Stuff (Finally)
So, I usually hate d% systems, because they almost always use a roll-over or roll-under mechanic, which severely limits superhuman potential normally found in tales of heroes and sorcerers, anime, or even Rambo-like modern action heroes.  But for this system, I chose to use a d% roll-under system both because the original Pokemon games (and the formulas I derived from them, below) were based on a simple percentile system, but also because humans are pathetic in the franchise, heroic vicariously through their pokemon, so there isn't the same need for main characters to be able to do crazy stuff, even at high level.

And as that suggests, yes, humans level up in my RPG, too.  They can even fight pokemon, though I wouldn't place bets on the human winning the fight, even against a level 4 rattata, unless they're a real martial artist pro.  I'll go into humans in more detail later down.

So, like any RPG, pokemon will have their stats.  In this case, I kept true to the game with Attack, Defense, etc, but I also added two more stats for "realism"/anime continuity:  Accuracy and Evasion.  This makes it so that a more accurate pokemon (like magmar) would be even better at using low-accuracy moves, while pokemon better at dodging (like electabuzz) may be frequently missed even by 100% accuracy moves.  Accuracy and Evasion are treated like any other stat (formula below).  I also added PP as a fixed stat, rather than having it per-move.  More on this in a minute, but I wanted to mention here that it's found basically like hp, but moreso.

As you can see, I removed Nature and EV's from this RPG, mostly to reduce the already over-burdened calculations required.  Also, EV's are a pain to track by hand.  To find the IV for the pokemon (a number between 1 and 32 in the original game), roll 3 10-sided dice (3d10 in RPG lingo), and add them up.  3-30 is close to the same, with a normal distribution instead of a flat one, to make pokemon feel more organic.

>And this is a really long post, so I'm going to post this now, and then continue where I left off later.<
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Original Pokemon Tabletop RPG

Post by TBC on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I'd absolutely love to do a Pokemon game in a D&D type format. It'd be so cool. I always thought a game like Pokemon, or a summoner game would be cool in a tabletop format. Cool stuff! I'd like to see more if you come back to it Smile

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:09 am

I'd love to do Pokemon DnD but all the math would hurt my brain XD.

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:46 pm

Hahaha yeah. It'd be a lot of math o.o

I'd either re-structure it to fit a more D&D-like structure where you essentially make your Pokemon buffed familiars that can level and stuff, or have a way to electronically do the calculations for the legit ones lol.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:55 pm

Ya the idea might be funs if not hard on brain XD

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 pm

I guess you could do something similar by using familiars in DND and get a progression system for them to level up and then just not use as strong as enemies or something.

Project Soul Link is going to be about a Summoner Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:36 am

TBC wrote:I guess you could do something similar by using familiars in DND and get a progression system for them to level up and then just not use as strong as enemies or something.

Project Soul Link is going to be about a Summoner Very Happy

Oooo sounds awesome XD

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Yeah, it'll be pretty cool Very Happy

Will be awesome if/when my Patreon gets big enough to support me cutting down hours at work to do content creation more consistently.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down