[ 5 ]
22% 22% 
[ 2 ]
22% 22% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 9

Which game did you choose?

Post by Fou on Mon May 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Did you go with Black 2 or White 2? Did you get both? Did you mix it up?

I got Black originally and then got White 2.
Fou

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Fou
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which game did you choose?

Post by TBC on Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't have Black 2 or White 2 sadly :/ But I have White so I'd probably get White 2.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingof7s on Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Same here to Fou

Look me up.

If you can find me.
kingof7s

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Prince
Region: Hoenn
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRealLazerBlazer22 on Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 am

I actually got both :-b -----------------------> Very Happy
TheRealLazerBlazer22

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Robert"Lazer"
Region: Unova
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DMoCTTA on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 pm

I had white then black 2! Honestly forgot what version differences there were since they are both similar looking!
DMoCTTA

Trainer Card
Trainer Name::
Region:
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/DMoCTTA

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I got White, originally (viva la Zekrom), but haven't been able to get either of the sequels. Too little moneyz, I'm afraid >.> I've heard that they're good, though, so I'll probably shell out for them at some point.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:58 am

Right, I would like to as well. I feel dirty having not beaten every Pokemon game now..... I held that title up until Gen 5 lol.  Well, I never beat Gen 4.... But that bastard child doesn't deserve my attention, lol.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:42 am

Lol, Gen IV was least admirable Gen. I still haven't played Gen VI, or the second half of Gen V, but I might buy a 3DS now that there are a bunch of good games for it...

...though I might need to know more Japanese before I can appreciate any of the games I buy (sans expensive shipping) >.>
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Draxuz on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:15 am

I have at least 1 copy of every RPG Pokemon game made thus far, minus the mystery dungeon games. I have duplicate of a few, but plan on having a duplicate copy for each game at some point. I'm currently on a war path to have one of each game have a completed Living Pokedex, it's something I'm still working on, and have completed on only 2 games thus far. :< Lots of work is involved, might take a couple of more years to finish.

Draxuz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Yeah.... I don't like Gen 4 at all. It was just icky. Yeah, I want a 3DS, too. Just no money for that Sad I wish I knew enough Japanese to get a Japanese game lol.

Nice, Draxuz Very Happy That is a big goal :p   I'ma just stick to completing a Pokedex when they stop making new Pokemon lol. Do you have Pokemon Conquest? That game was fun.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:44 pm

I started with pokemon White (gen 5, I mean), which is full of natural environements. So I decided to choose Black 2 to get the technologic part of the game, and FREAKIN' DARN IT I did well. The Black Tower is the most amazing thing I've ever seen, and I love technology anyway, so yeah.

Personally, I loved Gen 4. A lot. After my Emerald version stopped functioning, Platinium felt like a second chance. And to be fair the extended story was AMAZING, and Giratina was (and still is) such a mysterious legendary. That and the musics. There were some pokemons from Gen 4 I didn't like (qutie a few, actually), but... That happens in every gen.
I also really liked all the additions they made, with the attacks, etc.

But frankly... I think Gen 3 is my favorite, but I don't ahte any particular generation, compared to most fans. I just enjoy pokemon as a whole.
Also... Kricketune. Gen 4. Love that guy. Love him so much.
Tortwag

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 am

I waffle on what my favorite gen is, but all I know is that Gen IV was on the bottom for me. To clarify, though, I judge a generation on its main games, not its "triple" (aka, Red and Blue stand up for Gen I, not yellow, and so Diamond and Pearl stand for Gen IV, not Platinum, in my book)
1.) Lack of good pokemon. Gen IV introduced 107(?) new pokemon, but a full 27 of those couldn't be accessed before endgame. Other generations limited this number to a handful, and usually introduced more new pokemon. Further, compared to other generations, there was a much higher emphasis on new evolutions as opposed to new lines, and a good number of those new lines were underwhelming (bidoof, bronzor), or just seemed really repetitious (starly, pachirisu, finneon). There were definitely some cool pokemon (Giratina, Lucario, abomasnow), but they seemed to be far fewer of the total pokemon than other generations.
2.) Story. Team rocket didn't so much have a goal, as being everywhere you looked, the evil lurking beneath society, and then in Gen II, they gained concrete goals. In Gen III, Magma/Aqua were misguided, but driven to desperation by their conflict with their foes, and trying to do what they thought was right. In Gen V, we have a potentially noble team who are subverted by an evil heart. In Gen IV, we have a guy who wants to take control of God. Literally, he's after the master of time or the master of space (but those are close enough to God, and if that isn't silly enough, Nintendo was kind enough to give us Arceus). Besides somehow stealing power from the (remarkably similar looking) legendaries, and the whole dominating space or time thing, they do very little but show up randomly and "twirl their mustaches" as it were. Apparently they get more use in Platinum, but their use was very forgettable in P/D.
3.) Level Design. It was very easy to get lost in P/D. It took me a good degree of random exploration to find the plothook to keep adventuring further into the land, and a less savvy friend playing it got totally stuck. Further, the locations were just less interesting. The honey thing was kinda cool, and I liked the underground, but when I try to think of its locations, I still think of all the other games instead, because comparatively, they were just a whole lot more interesting.

As always, these things are simply opinions, but it's why I didn't much care for Gen IV. I was very happy that Gen V was much improved, and fixed these issues with much more interesting pokemon design (plenty of new pokemon, interesting and diverse, and nearly all available pre-endgame), better level design, and the most interesting "villains" of the first 5 gens.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 pm

First off, I don't think you can compare what Emerald is to Ruby/Sapphire, or Platinium to Pearl/Diamond to what Yellow is to Red/Blue. Yellow was only here for marketing, and to hilight the anime elements of the game. It is by no means an expansion of the game's story.
Emerald and Platinium, however, were. They both gave us more details about what happened (especially Platinium), and a much more interesting ending to said conflict.
The whole Giratina affair in Gen 4 (Platinium only) was extremely interesting, for instance, as we understand that they're not jsut after God, they're after the creation of a new world ("without the drawbacks that are emotions", apparently).
But then again maybe that's just me. I highly like every Gen anyway.
I... Kinda liked Gen 4 pokemons, though. Not to mention you shouldn't say "repetitive", but "traditionnal". They always make repetitive starting birds and basic-like pokemons in every gen. In Gen 5 too. Vanillish's design, Amoongus, Stunfisk... Quite underwhelming for my taste. And don't even get me started on the traditional ones or the cool ones. Both of those kinds also exist in pretty every generation from 1 to 6, imo.

From what you say it seems like you haven't played Platinium however, which I believe you should do. For all the reasons I mentioned.

Now, it is indeed very easy to get lost, especially by the end of Platinium's expanded story, but I found finding my way out of some puzzles VERY rewarding in comparison to other generations. Gen 5, for instance, felt WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too easy for my taste (MOST of the time. Which is why they removed the VS Seeker, I assume), and much more linear than Gen 4, too. That and... Though Gen 3's my fav, it was easy to get lost on some parts too. And just as satisfying when finding the solution.

I agree with you in lots of aspects, though, especially story-wise. Gen 5's storyline is definitely amazing, and surely my favorite so far. That and... Team Plasma's battle theme.

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:15 am

My point regarding generations, is that especially BECAUSE they add so much, they are something that has been altered from the first impression of the game. The first impression of the generation must stand on its own. I wasn't comparing Yellow to Platinum (or more accurately Yellow to R/B vs Emerald to R/S, etc), I was saying that, imho, the "do-overs" don't count, and that includes Yellow, Emerald, Crystal, Platinum, etc. Similarly, I don't count remakes (Firered/Leafgreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver, etc in favor of a gen, either, nor do I count them towards their original generation).

I more or less like every gen, too. IV just doesn't stand up to the others, imho (not that I don't want to replay it at some point, despite my massive game to-play list). And Platinum is probably the one I'll play to do so.

"Repetitive" is accurate, actually more so than traditional. They are following traditional archetypes, but "traditional" doesn't have the right connotation for my argument. It's not that they use general archetypes from the past that bugs me, it's that they don't add anything of real merit when doing so. I loved my starraptor, but there's no reason it couldn't have been replaced with a pidgeot. There are certainly underwhelming pokemon in all generations, as are there cool pokemon in all generations, but my point is, for me at least, the underwhelming and repetitive pokemon based on a traditional archetype were far more numerous than in other generations, especially for a game that already was hampered by having a huge number not available until after endgame, and most of which aren't even available until you import the pre-evolution from another gen (which was a huge disappointment to me).

I think what irked me most about the repetition of function, was that it followed the archetypes without broadening the envelope at all. Gen I was the defining generation. Gen II reused pidgey and rattata, giving precedent for using the same pokemon again (even if sentret was more prevalent than rattata, and hoothoot was everywhere at night). In gen III, they shook up the formula having a normal type and dark type, and the bug type showing up much earlier (and being the first new bug type worm thing since Gen I). Then in gen IV, they didn't use ANY of the 3 normal mammals, 4 normal birds, or any combination of bugs in the beginning, instead "wasting" a full 5 pokemon on archetypes that already existed, in a game with already rather few new pokemon. Shinx was cool, so why not have like spearow and shinx in the opening grass? That would have been really cool to mix things up, or if spearow is too OP, use Starly or pidgey. I would even be kinder if they went the extra mile to make the pokemon ENTIRELY new, like in Gen III or V, maybe with things like sudowoodo or Mr. Mime that we couldn't catch in the wild before, to show where they came from. But at least to me, how they did it came off kind of as "Ok, now we've knocked out the easy ones, where do we go from here?" But as always, this is nothing more than an opinion.

And gen III had the occasional "Where do I go now?" moment, but there is one part of Gen IV (when leaving Oreburgh, iirc), that you have to talk to a random person two cities over, and are told this fact once. If you stop there for the night, or accidentally flip through the dialogue too fast, you're left with no idea where to go, and without that person's one line, there is no logical reason why you have to go to that specific person at that specific time. It took me (for the latter reason) quite a while to find my way through, while my friend (for the former reason) got completely lost, and lost interest in the game as a result (not that I didn't try to persuade her to continue).
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am

Right. That's a fair point. Though... still, since it's an expension (that is canon and offers more details) to the stories, I still find odd that you wouldn't count them. They offer a more memorable side to the games and gens they're tied to, so I believe that's something not to forget. As for the remakes they're also enhanced versions of the original stories, so yeah there's that.
Enjoy Platinium, then. It was pretty good, really.

Hmm... To be fair, they did add different characteristics to their archetypes. Pigeot for instance was not as fast (in both learning moves and actual speed) as Starraptor. And then Starraptor could learn Close Combat, as well as a variety of different moves. So it felt repetitive, but not too much, because of few differences like that. Same for Bidoof vs Rattata, they're in teh same archetype,but they evolve completely different (hate Bidoof though. HATE.)
That's how I see it at least.
I can agree to that, too, I see your point. I think it's just me who didn't mind those aspects as much as you apparently did.
Wait, you DIND'T have Shinx in the opening grass? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I got him very early in the game. Maybe not in the VERY FIRST route, but definitely on the second or so. Is that... Is that only in Platinium...? Darn. But yes, where Gen II slightly broke the formula, Gen 4 wanted to re-introduce it without anything new (at least for the begining). Agreed. Although, Kriketune was a pretty different Bug that what we were used to. Y'know, usually ti's a flying insect, and here we have a bug that evolves at lv10 and has these huge blades for hands and can use new bug attacks. I found that a pretty decent beginning than a usual butterfly-like (though I love those).
You could get Starly pretty early in the games as well, though, so that wasn't really much of an issue.
Yes, and a respectable opinion, I might add. It's actually interesting to see what you think of that particular Gen. I wonder how that'll evolve when you start off with Platinium, as this game has a few different pokemon locations.

Oh really? Should I remind you of the whole Regi chase, which was pretty much the hardest, most "what do I have to do" moment in al Pokémon hist- Wait, scratch that. That wasn't main story. But what you're talking about is to find Team Galactic again. Darn, I forgot.
Wait, what... What was the trouble upon leaving Oreburgh witht he whole person's line thing again? Please enlighten me, cause I'm pretty sure the main problem I ever had in Gen 4 was trying to find Team Galactic again near the end of the game (harder in Platinium, from what I saw after playing Diamond).

Trainer Card

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:46 pm

For me judging generations, I think the best way to put it is that I judge them on first impressions. Sure, it's great to see an expansion later, but it's your job to make the games good the first time around, not rush something out, and then fix the problems with it after assuming I'll pay the additional amount to get the next game. So, I'm sure Platinum is better, but it isn't what "sold" gen IV.

Starly and Bidoof were in the first and second grasses, I think Shinx showed up around grass 3 or 4 (shortly after the first town after the start, iirc). Kricketune was good, but showed up even later than Shinx (by which I mean, I would have liked it even more if it had replaced bidoof, which I don't think anyone, ever, liked). And you're right, there were some differences, but as I mentioned, my problem more was that they took up "valuable" new pokemon space. In Gen V, the introduced 156 new pokemon, so 6 new "repetitive" pokemon were barely noticeable (especially as ~110+ of those were available pre-endgame, not including version specific and forced-choice pokemon), but with only ~60 new pokemon available (omitting version-specific and forced-choice pokemon, like the other 6 starters), having a full 5 devoted to traditional archetypes felt worse than other generations, especially when another *8* were just pre/post evolutions (with most of the new evolutions requiring really rare stones).

And yes, I never would have found the regi's if not for owning a guide, but as you pre-empted my counter argument, it's not part of the main story. XD The regis were insane to try to find (especially without a walkthrough, even if just one that gives you a braille cheat sheet and an overhead map, and says "go here to start the quest, and then look in these three places for the tombs") It's been a long time since I played through Diamond, but looking over a walkthrough, after winning in Oreburgh, you have to find some Galactic grunts by the north exit of Jubilife, but it only tells you something like "Rowan was looking for you in Jubilife" like once, and then doesn't say anything after that. I spent hours trying to find someway "forward" from Oreburgh, and then started tracing my footsteps, talking to everyone I could. I can't remember if I looked it up online, or randomly found them off to the side, but I finally found the professor in question after more headache than it had been worth.
Drazex

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Nice convo!

I go by first impressions and general presentation. I found the art style in Gen 4 far too different and it looked just dreadful. The people felt slanted and it didn't appeal to me. I thought the pokemon designs were sub-par and the region really didn't interest me.

Mainly it was the pokemon and lack of content and stuff. Gen 2 had a new region, fresh Pokemon and designs and type matchings and stuff. Plus, content-wise it was a gold mine.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down