Runescape?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Runescape?

Post by TBC on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:23 am

Lol... Yes... I will(shamefully) admit I play Runescape :p I have since classic 10 years ago. I played up until they came out with that abomination, "Evolution of Combat".

But I got back into it because my roommate has a horrible attention span and interest level with most games, but can still get into RS :p So we're playing RS2 together(the one from back in '07, the good one).

Do any of you guys still play?

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Runescape?

Post by Drazex on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 am

I've never played it, myself, but I had a friend in High School that was obsessed with it Razz

How is it different than other games of the genre?
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:36 am

@Drazex wrote:I've never played it, myself
Don't, it will steal your soul and not give it back. lol.
@Drazex wrote:How is it different than other games of the genre?
If you're talking the '07 Runescape, quite a bit was different. For the 'evolution of combat', nothing is.

The basic skills premise is a bit different than most MMOs and is centered around grinding quite a bit. You have a buuunch of skills, and every time you use them you get experience and it levels. The more you level, the more fun stuff you can do with the skill.

For instance, if you train attack(accuracy) or strength(damage), you'll be able to use better weapons. If your mining goes up, you can mine better materials, if your cooking goes up you can cook better stuff etc. There's also skill capes when you hit 99 :3

Certain quests have skill requirements, as do armor and weapons and stuff.

After awhile, weapons get specials you can activate with a bar that goes up a bit. Otherwise combat is pretty standard. You select Thrust(attack) swing(strength) or what have you to train a skill type and you bash away at the enemy and so does he til one of you die. But there are prayers you can activate, potions to take, spells to use etc that make combat more interesting. The specials add more flair to it as well.

The combat was a large thing making RS unique, as well as the skill system. The 'evolution of combat' added abilities, cool down timers and a hot bar. They made it way easier, too, and it just turned to poop.

But the 07 RS is actually pretty good. It is pretty unique for an MMO with the skill and battle system and there's a lot to uncover and stuff.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazex on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 am

Interesting. The premise of leveling skills by using them sounds a lot like Elder Scrolls, lol.

@TBC wrote:is centered around grinding quite a bit
And this is different from most MMO's how...? Razz
Drazex

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Brian
Region: Johto
Friend Code:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:13 pm

@Drazex wrote:Interesting.  The premise of leveling skills by using them sounds a lot like Elder Scrolls, lol.
Ooooh, that's a good point. Maybe that was one of the things that drew me in to it.
@Drazex wrote:And this is different from most MMO's how...?  Razz
The way its gone about is different. Of course all MMOs have grinding and all that. But Runescape is like unabashedly open about it. From the start, you see all the level 1 skills that can be level 100. It shows you the level progress, exp to next level etc all in numbers. As you level, you see the exp is exponentially increasing in what's needed. So getting to 100 in any skill is a pretty ridiculous feat.

That, and RS is one of the only MMOS where half-afking is actually a good thing to do. Like just killing enemies to level your skill or mining and occasionally clicking and go to another tab for a bit :p

Most other games hide the grinding behind flashy stuff. RS has the flash, too. But it's very numbers-oriented as well.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by JJCalem on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 pm

I played Runescape. Main things I remember are chopping down trees, fishing, and...I think I remember spending a lot of time on a farm?
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Hahahaha yeah. I ended up quitting again after I made this post. My roommate and I were playing, and he stopped. So the fun of it died along with it lol. But I have Elder Scrolls Online now :3
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by JJCalem on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:25 pm

To be honest while I played Runescape for awhile Flyff was my MMORPG of choice. Have not played that one either for quite a while now.
JJCalem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 pm

I saw Flyff, but it didn't look very good lol. Back in the day I played some Maple Story, and Ragnarok Online. There were a bunch of random MMOs as well. Some newer ones are like AdventureQuest Worlds(soon to be playing AQ3D! Very Happy) and whatnot.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down