New Gym Leader: Synchangel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Gym Leader: Synchangel

Post by Synchangel on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Hello all, this is Synchangel

I'm been contacted to write for Pokémon Generation 0 and I'm quite excited about the prospect--for a long time, I've wanted to develop, and/or be a part of the creative process for, a video game. My academic background isn't in writing nor video game development, but I know I have a lot to offer the game in terms of content. I was a pretty big Pokémon fan growing up, and I'm sure that quality is shared with many following the game currently. I played the games and watched the anime and was enthralled with the Pokémon universe.

As I grew older, I still enjoyed the games quite a bit. But in a nutshell, I found the games a little too formulaic and repetitive. Many games follow a formula that is pretty inflexible and they don't necessarily suffer in popularity because that is what the die-hard fans desire, and that is totally valid. Some games stay mostly true to their roots but approach different conceptualizations and styles, and that's valid as well. For me, Pokémon as a video game franchise is constantly distilling itself and doesn't delineate much from the formula; though it has added many aspects when you consider the entirety of the franchise, it is still pretty much the same basic game I played in Generation I.

That is one reason I am very happy to be working with the Pokémon Generation 0 team: the game could be considered something like a spiritual predecessor to the Generation I games, but without the need to adhere to the structure. It's still an Pokémon-themed RPG, but it's separate in a lot of fundamental ways that I enjoy.

I'll be primarily working on the texts in the game--there is a lot of content from the established Pokémon universe that could be injected into the game in the form of references, explanations, homages, and other interpretations, as well as unique content from the team itself. I have always had an appreciation for media that have great attention to detail, and I think that living, breathing Pokémon world would have all manner of media to consume--newspapers, e-mails, journals, novels, magazines, blogs, pamphlets, research reports, textbooks, etc.--so I always felt a little dismayed that there were so many bookshelves and other such items in the games, but not much content to really delve into. It's a valid choice on the developer's side--they do already write all the text for the story and characters and other aspects, but it was just something I always wanted to see, especially as I grew a little older and enjoyed that level of detail.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments for me, I will try to respond to them as best as I can--I enjoy hearing others' perspectives on this and other games.

Synchangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Gym Leader: Synchangel

Post by TBC on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Hello thar!

Welcome to the community :3 And thanks! That's why I'm so excited to work on Generation 0. I really like the description you gave with being a spiritual predecessor, but without needing to adhere to the structure. I'm gonna use that later when describing Gen 0 :3

Awesome, and I'm happy to have you aboard Smile And I'm the same way. I love the detail in games like the Elder Scrolls Series, but only the massive open world games seem to do it. It'd be cool to have a normal RPG with that similar level of detail and stuff.

I hope you stay active here! Even if it is just me and you for awhile or me you and a couple people it will be helpful for anyone else thinking of coming on the forums.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchangel on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks, TBC! Yes, I was hoping to connect with the fans that might be directed here. I think it's helpful and important to reach out to those interested parties and answer any questions or comments they might have.

Synchangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah, definitely Very Happy Just gotta not lose hope when people don't reply a lot. It takes awhile to get forums going, and you gotta get regulars first pretty much.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Synchangel! Glad to have you here, and it's good to know you want to connext with this community.

Personally, I think that's the reason why I really enjoyed the Spin-offs of the games, such as Pokemon Ranger, Colosseum/Gale of Darkness, and ESPECAILYL Mystery Dungeon. 'Cause you know, they try to deviate from the basic formula and create something completely different as a result.
That and I think you're right: it's really a shame that there are so many written stuff in the main RPGs and most of it is just decorative. I think it's one of the reasons why my childself really enjoyed trying to solve the mystery of the Pokemon Mansion back in Fire Red: it was the only place where exploring and reading in-game notes actually matters.

Anyway! It's awesome that you'll be workin' as a writer and may come up with interests similar to what we can find in Pokemon Mansion. Here's to hope you'll enjoy your staying in here Very Happy

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Region: Unova
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchangel on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Thank you for the well-wishes, Tortwag! I appreciate your point of view, and I think we are both kindred spirits in this regard. I have been researching some of the esoteric Pokémon fan canon and lore in spin-off media, some of which is already planned for introduction into Generation 0! I polled the community on the facebook page, looking for feedback about what sorts of things the fanbase liked and consumed that they would like to see explored in-game. I am glad you mentioned the mansion, because I had a similar fascination growing up.

Synchangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:07 pm

I agree on notes/books and whatnot having a purpose. I like to reward, and be rewarded, for exploration and stuff. The Mansion will be fun when we get to it! Very Happy
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckGrant232 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:02 am

Having started with Pokemon: Blue version, I missed a lot of the content, however I used to spend a lot of time in gold trying to figure out the puzzle for the unknown cave, as well as trying to catch every single letter of the unknowns. More puzzles would be nice to see, as you said with the mansion, the content their you had to remember for later I do believe, like also with silph co you had to navigate your way to the end for the master ball. Would love to see the kinda puzzles we end up getting further along.

RedneckGrant232

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:31 pm

@RedneckGrant232 wrote: I used to spend a lot of time in gold trying to figure out the puzzle for the unknown cave, as well as trying to catch every single letter of the unknowns. More puzzles would be nice to see, as you said with the mansion, the content their you had to remember for later I do believe, like also with silph co you had to navigate your way to the end for the master ball. Would love to see the kinda puzzles we end up getting further along.
Same here. I loved the Ruins of Alph. I felt like an Archaeologist when I was there. The unown mystery was definitely intriguing.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down