Gen0 Researches Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gen0 Researches Topic

Post by Tortwag on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am

Hi everyone! Tortwag here! hadn't posted here in a while, so i figurd I'd use an opportunity to work on a few suggestions that might or might not be useful for Gen0 - either way, it's all food for though, so let's get right to it.

I remember a post in the Facebook page that said that researchers were needed to find... "data", I guess, on the anime-exclusive locations of Kanto, since some of them might or might not be included in Gen0. Since I have no idea how that went and happen to be a writer, I guess I can always post a few ideas I might have. Let's start with Bill's lighthouse, which appeared in one of the early episodes of the Anime.

Location 1: Bill's Lighthouse.

Spoiler:
I. Data
♦First of all, the Lighthouse's supposed to be located somewhere near Cerulean City and serves as a counterpart to Bill's Sea Cottage (which you can see in the game, y'know, that house in which Bill accidentally transforms himself into a Pokémon and asks you to turn him back into a human?).
♦There's a phone with a screen in the lighthhouse, which is a very comon piece of technology found in the Anime - especially in Pokemon Centers: Ash usually goes there to call Prof.Oak. So despite being seemingly in the middle of nowhere, the lighthouse is actually quite modernized.
♦There is a signal-like beam installed on top of the Lighthouse that sends off a powerful beam of light + specific sound that attracts a Mysterious Pokemon.
♦The Mysterious Pokemon is a giant Dragonite who appears to be unknown (according to Bill, who is said to know more about them than Professor Oak himself)
♦The Giant Dragonite that appears near the Lighthouse is the very first giant pokemon that appear in the anime – and there are more of them to appear later.

Okay, so that's the data. Now, let's try to see how said data can be used to get some ideas.

II. Possibilities

♦Bill is the creator of the PC Storage System (heavily linked to Pokeballs), which implies that before he was born, there was no such thing since he developped it. Maybe a more primitive way to store pokemons should be used for Gen 0, such as a Pokemon Ranch (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/My_Pokémon_Ranch).
Futhermore, Bill's Grandfather could eventually make an appearance in the game, but he is not a Poke-Maniac. His son, however, is. Said son being Bill's father, who could ALSO make an eventual appearance.
♦Despite not being a Pokemaniac himself (proven by his lack of knowledge regarding the names of said pokemons, as seen in his game-only appearances), Bill's grandfather must have some knowledge regarding the pokemon world, considering he is the one who gives lots of evolutionary stones that are always related to the pokemons the player shows him in the game. This factor may be of use if he indeed appears in Gen 0.
♦Leo's father could potentially be a recurring character and globe-trotting Pokemaniac/researcher, which would explain how Bill got his talent (innate, but maybe his knowledge comes from his father). He could give the player useful infos on Pokemons and where to find them. He could also be the original owner of the Lighthouse, and talking to him would trigger a modified version of the Giant Dragonite (Note: according to Leo in the Anime, Dragonite seem to be an unknown Pokemon at the time).

So there! That's what I got. If any of you got ideas of your own, you might as well share them here, and well I kind of assume that not everything here can be taken in account due to limitations that I'm not necessarily aware of. But hey, as I said in the beginning, it's all food for though! I'll come back to this topic when I get around more reserches. Bye for now!

Location 2: Cameran Palace

Spoiler:
I. Data:

♦The Cameran Palace is located north of the city of Rota, placed in a lone island just northwest of Mt.Moon (Anime-exclusive). It is connected to Rota via a long bridge, and a cable car track lies in the back of the castle and stops at the lake.

♦Besides the castle lies the Cameran Stadium, huge Colosseum used for Pokemon Battles, namely the battle tournament of Rota's annual festival.

♦Queen Ilene is the current queen of the castle and host of the tournament, alongside her Mime Jr.  

II. Possibilities:

♦Cameran Castle is based on the famous Neuschwanstein Castle – New Swastone Castle in English, apparently – which is known for being an homage to the Middle Ages, as well as the castle's occupants' love for operas of Richard Wagner. All this to say, the Cameran Castle in Gen0 could be a place of tradition in which masquerades and festivals take place (also supported by the animate movie, in which every trainer must disguise themselves as nobles to participate in the battle festival). That would be the perfect excuse to give specific items to the place that cannot be easily obtained if you don't visit it, or just a way to fight rich yet powerful trainers in order to get money easily, providing the player going there is good enough to actually win.

♦The Battle Tournament could be a one-time event similar to the S.S.Anne holding a similar purpose than the latter for the Gen0 story: get experience and unique items, eventually even a special HM, and a way to grind efficiently. To add to the Side-Quest system, there could even be a bunch of these in which fashion-bound NPCs would ask the player to win a certain amount of battles with whatever clothing line they want the player to wear, giving them loads of money/exp/rare items as rewards. Again, this goes with the idea that the trainers of the castle would be especially strong.

♦Another interesting thing about the castle is its hero Sir Aaron, as well as the place's connection to Aura. This could be the only place in Kanto where the power of Aura (or Pulse attacks, since the Ability Mega Launcher puts them together) could be developed and either a way to resolve puzzles later in the game (thus transforming the place into an essential plot point – maybe Team Rocket would be interesting in infiltrating the castle.

♦There's always a queen residing in the castle, and she could be the one giving a bigger side-quest to the player. A possible reward would be a Squirtle able to use Aura Sphere. In Gen0 only Kanto pokemons are allowed, and Squirtle happens to be the only one able to learn Aura Sphere via breeding. Since Lucario and Mew are part of the castle's history (both of which feature in the movie, and both can learn Aura Sphere), it would make sense to get it via an ingame event Squirtle. Aura Sphere could even be a HM.

Last edited by Tortwag on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 6 times in total

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Region: Unova
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gen0 Researches Topic

Post by KvaGram on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:52 am

Humm.. Interesting. As for how pokemon is stored prior to Bills system, we have already a system for that.

In Generation 0, you can store pokemon in pokemon centers, but they will not be transported between them. All storage is local, and limited to only a few boxes. Pokemon will not teleport to the PC when catching above 6 either. They will instead go to a device that you get at some point in the game.

That is the Mobile Storage Unit (MSU). This device can be filled with a few pokemon, and can be filled or deposited at a PC.
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortwag on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:08 pm

KvaGram wrote:Humm.. Interesting. As for how pokemon is stored prior to Bills system, we have already a system for that.

In Generation 0, you can store pokemon in pokemon centers, but they will not be transported between them. All storage is local, and limited to only a few boxes. Pokemon will not teleport to the PC when catching above 6 either. They will instead go to a device that you get at some point in the game.

That is the Mobile Storage Unit (MSU). This device can be filled with a few pokemon, and can be filled or deposited at a PC.

Took me WAY too long to answer that, but thank you! I didn't actually know about the MSU, but I'm glad that you guys alreayd provide a pretty neat-sounding solution to that problem. Also glad you find the ideas interesting. More where that came from comin' right up! I'll edit the main one up there with a second spoiler.

EDIT: Done! Now awaitin' comments or thoughts on this second location's analysis.

I'll add just in case that I'm perfectly aware that many of these suggestions aren't realistically doable, considering the castle is located in Rota, and Rota being an entirely new medievlal-themed city with its own separated history and all, it would most certainly be a tough challenge to sprite, program side-quests into, etc. So yeah! Just suggestions and idea. I'll cover Rota after this.

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Glyph
Region: Unova
Friend Code: Pokemon Showdown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and research, Tortwag Smile

Before my response, just kind of a note of correction. The suggestions are great, however if you are aiming to fill the role of a researcher those should come second. Not first. The research done is good, but there are holes.

For instance, what KvaGram noted about the PCs. In the anime, Dr. Akihabara is actually the one to create the PC transfer system. Furthemore, Pokeballs date back to over 200 years ago. Cross research is needed as well as a plethora of research of the surrounding lands, areas, people, things that might not be apparent(Dr. Akihabara and the banned episode) etc.

Bill's Grandfather is also only at the Sea Cottage during the events of HG/SS to house-sit for Bill. Bill's hometown is Goldenrod City, and Bill's Grandfather normally lives in Fuschia City. Not to say he can't appear around Cerulean. However, I look for hard-canon first before making inferences and filling in the gaps.

More of the purpose for research is to aid the canonical fidelity I am trying to maintain with Gen 0. I want to date back events, characters, the history and also locations that weren't normally in the game, of course.

So yeah. Suggestions are great, and brainstorming on the data is awesome.  Just try to do the best research you can first and then extrapolate that data into suggestions afterwards.

Adding in Bill's Father and whatnot could be cool. I'd have to look into the established canon to see how much information exists on him, though. I would like to do more with Rota and all that, but like you said we don't have the resources for that right now. But it's always a good piece of information to keep in mind for the future and for lore/etc. Very Happy

Ah! The MSU. Since Dr. Akihabara created the PC transfer system, and Pokeballs dated back a LONG time, we're going with that PCs were there before, but Bill modernized them and connected the whole region. So PCs are going to be specific, like KvaGram said.

The MSU is going to be the flash drive whereas the current PC system is like cloud storage. It will hold x amount of extra Pokemon that you can upload to a PC. You can download Pokemon to the MSU as well to transfer to a new PC in a different area. Upgrades to the base model will be available as well.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down