New member!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New member!

Post by Boynsy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:11 am

Hi guys, I've only recently found out about this project and am reasonably excited for it! I came across it from that fake poster suggesting the starters would be the legendary birds, but this seems an interesting and exciting take on it too! I can't wait to find out more and hopefully dive in and play myself!

My name is Boynsy, and I've been a Pokemon fan for as long as I can remember. I've recently got back into the games in a big way and can't wait for Sun and Moon, so hopefully this will be something else to look forward to on my calendar too!

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New member!

Post by KvaGram on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:33 am

Welcome. Yeah, there is much about fake posters and rumors on and around Generation 0. In fact, it was a fake poster that inspired the project to begin with. (A different one from what you have described).

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), as I am sure you have figured, you don't get any legendary birds as starters here.

Although, that could have been a fun april fools prank.
(Just an idea, not considering that at this time)
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Synchangel on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Welcome, Boynsy! I'm glad you were able to find your way to the forums!

Synchangel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:11 pm

@Boynsy wrote:I came across it from that fake poster suggesting the starters would be the legendary birds, but this seems an interesting and exciting take on it too! 
Awesome! As KvaGram said, Generation 0 is loosely based on that advertisement. The direct inspiration was the Pokemon Sepia and Monochrome picture that floated around. It actually still included stuff on the baby birds, but I don't think it said it was the starters in that iteration. 
@Boynsy wrote:My name is Boynsy, and I've been a Pokemon fan for as long as I can remember. I've recently got back into the games in a big way and can't wait for Sun and Moon, so hopefully this will be something else to look forward to on my calendar too!
OMG I'm stoked for Sun/Moon too!!! My best friend is coming over on release day and we're gonna jump in the game blind together, get wasted and crack out on Pokemon Very Happy hahahahaha. 

Welcome to the forums! I hope to see you around more beyond the contest, too Wink   Every active member is one step closer to a thriving community Very Happy

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:27 am

@KvaGram wrote:Welcome. Yeah, there is much about fake posters and rumors on and around Generation 0. In fact, it was a fake poster that inspired the project to begin with. (A different one from what you have described).

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), as I am sure you have figured, you don't get any legendary birds as starters here.

Although, that could have been a fun april fools prank.
(Just an idea, not considering that at this time)

I wouldn't say that it's either unfortunate or fortunate... It's more of just a feature of the game that I'm happy with either way. I'll see though, maybe I'll have more of an opinion when the game drops!

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Smile

I can certainly say the birds will never be starters. I purposefully chose specific, non-choice, starters a la Yellow version for Gen 0. But yeah, I'd love to pay homage to that part of the original hoax advert though, with the baby birds in general :3
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 pm

@TBC wrote:Smile

I can certainly say the birds will never be starters. I purposefully chose specific,  non-choice, starters a la Yellow version for Gen 0. But yeah, I'd love to pay homage to that part of the original hoax advert though, with the baby birds in general :3

Yeah I get you, I think that while it would be cool to have the birds from the beginning, it would make for a totally different game. That's why I said that I don't think of it as either a positive or a negative, because it seems incomparable to me.

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Yeah. It's one of those things that isn't just 'something you do or don't include', but it is a major design decision. So doing it or not doing it would be a big thing. But yeah, it'll be cool how I'll end up handling em Smile
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckGrant232 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:56 am

Regardless, it will be awesome to see how far Gen: 0 goes. The team behind it, some of which I know, Especially TBC, have put in a lot of time into it, and they are pouring their hearts and souls into Gen: 0 to make it the best it can be. No matter what, regardless of the route taken, this game with be one of the best, I just know it. As far as starters go, it will be interesting to see a selection like no other, we have ghastly I believe, but would be cool to see possible pokemon that are hard to obtain appear in random events.

RedneckGrant232

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:55 am

@RedneckGrant232 wrote:Regardless, it will be awesome to see how far Gen: 0 goes. The team behind it, some of which I know, Especially TBC, have put in a lot of time into it, and they are pouring their hearts and souls into Gen: 0 to make it the best it can be. No matter what, regardless of the route taken, this game with be one of the best, I just know it. As far as starters go, it will be interesting to see a selection like no other, we have ghastly I believe, but would be cool to see possible pokemon that are hard to obtain appear in random events.

I can't wait to really get into the game. So far it seems incredibly well thought out and is exactly what I'm after now, with my newfound love for the games once again. Part of me wishes this were to become a real Pokemon main series game - not that I'm trying to discredit the work put in here, but the opposite - which would just serve to add to my excitement!

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedneckGrant232 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:50 am

If this were to become a main series game, TBC would have done a lot of work for almost nothing. The reason it is known as just Gen:0 is to avoid any issues with GameFreak over the name of the game, since Pokemon is a trademarked name. However, the flip side to that would be if all the people who put in all this effort, and GameFreak found out, and didn't mess with the game at all, well, that would pretty much make them legends, and in turn will have proved that with hard work and dedication, anything is possible, which is what we should all be living by anyway. Never expect anything to come easy, for only when you put your heart and soul into what you do, will you truly succeed.

RedneckGrant232

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:15 pm

@RedneckGrant232 wrote:Regardless, it will be awesome to see how far Gen: 0 goes. The team behind it, some of which I know, Especially TBC, have put in a lot of time into it, and they are pouring their hearts and souls into Gen: 0 to make it the best it can be. No matter what, regardless of the route taken, this game with be one of the best, I just know it. As far as starters go, it will be interesting to see a selection like no other, we have ghastly I believe, but would be cool to see possible pokemon that are hard to obtain appear in random events.
Indeed. There has ben many an hour poured into this o.o. Thank you very much for the kind words Smile Hearing things like that is what keeps me motivated to continue Smile Yes, Agatha has Gastly whereas Sam has a male Nidorino. There will be some cool special Pokémon down the line Smile

@Boynsy wrote:I can't wait to really get into the game. So far it seems incredibly well thought out and is exactly what I'm after now, with my newfound love for the games once again. Part of me wishes this were to become a real Pokemon main series game - not that I'm trying to discredit the work put in here, but the opposite - which would just serve to add to my excitement!
Thank you Boynsy Smile I love hearing stuff like that Very Happy

The thought never crossed my mind, dood Smile I see that as a good thing. It's exciting to see people get excited over this and see it as a main series game. However, if Gamefreak made it, it would be far different than mine :p

@RedneckGrant232 wrote:If this were to become a main series game, TBC would have done a lot of work for almost nothing.
I disagree. Even if I get a cease and desist right now, I'd disagree. The experiences I've had, the knowledge I've gained. That's all worth a lot. If Nintendo shut us down and they turned around to make a legitimate prequel, it'd sting of course. But I would feel really good in knowing that my idea was good enough for them to take :p And it'd let me begin production on PSL sooner Surprised hahaha

@RedneckGrant232 wrote: The reason it is known as just Gen:0 is to avoid any issues with GameFreak over the name of the game, since Pokemon is a trademarked name. However, the flip side to that would be if all the people who put in all this effort, and GameFreak found out, and didn't mess with the game at all, well, that would pretty much make them legends, and in turn will have proved that with hard work and dedication, anything is possible, which is what we should all be living by anyway. Never expect anything to come easy, for only when you put your heart and soul into what you do, will you truly succeed.
Very well said Smile Yeah. I'm planning on taking every single instance of the word 'pokemon' from the game as well, replacing it with 'creature' or something to that effect. I hope I'm able to finish this, of course. But either way the journey has been worth it.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:02 pm

@TBC wrote:
Indeed. There has ben many an hour poured into this o.o.  Thank you very much for the kind words Smile Hearing things like that is what keeps me motivated to continue Smile  Yes, Agatha has Gastly whereas Sam has a male Nidorino. There will be some cool special Pokémon down the line Smile

@Boynsy wrote:I can't wait to really get into the game. So far it seems incredibly well thought out and is exactly what I'm after now, with my newfound love for the games once again. Part of me wishes this were to become a real Pokemon main series game - not that I'm trying to discredit the work put in here, but the opposite - which would just serve to add to my excitement!
Thank you Boynsy Smile  I love hearing stuff like that Very Happy

The thought never crossed my mind, dood Smile  I see that as a good thing. It's exciting to see people get excited over this and see it as a main series game. However, if Gamefreak made it, it would be far different than mine :p

@RedneckGrant232 wrote:If this were to become a main series game, TBC would have done a lot of work for almost nothing.
I disagree. Even if I get a cease and desist right now, I'd disagree. The experiences I've had, the knowledge I've gained. That's all worth a lot. If Nintendo shut us down and they turned around to make a legitimate prequel, it'd sting of course. But I would feel really good in knowing that my idea was good enough for them to take :p And it'd let me begin production on PSL sooner  Surprised  hahaha

@RedneckGrant232 wrote: The reason it is known as just Gen:0 is to avoid any issues with GameFreak over the name of the game, since Pokemon is a trademarked name. However, the flip side to that would be if all the people who put in all this effort, and GameFreak found out, and didn't mess with the game at all, well, that would pretty much make them legends, and in turn will have proved that with hard work and dedication, anything is possible, which is what we should all be living by anyway. Never expect anything to come easy, for only when you put your heart and soul into what you do, will you truly succeed.
Very well said Smile Yeah. I'm planning on taking every single instance of the word 'pokemon' from the game as well, replacing it with 'creature' or something to that effect. I hope I'm able to finish this, of course. But either way the journey has been worth it.

I don't mean to say that I'd rather see Gamefreak make a prequel over TBC's current work in progress - everyone has a different take on what they want from each game and such anyway so seeing a fan take on it is something that interests me greatly. There's just something about the official games that makes me buzz in a way that no other game, however brilliant, gets me.

It's great that you've enjoyed making the game so far, and wouldn't see it as a wasted effort. Hopefully that will show in the finished product - and anyway, who knows where it might lead for you! There's so much that could be done with Pokemon games in so many respects, and it's excellent to see other people's ideas and such.

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Indeed Smile

I love seeing fangames and stuff and to see what's done from someone else's point of view to an established work.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down