Probably the best games in the series

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Probably the best games in the series

Post by Boynsy on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:22 am

I am currently sinking some serious hours into Ruby, and have come to the conclusion that I think these are the best Pokemon games going. The remakes rank pretty high, but I think that the features introduced in Ruby and Sapphire, and those refined from generation 2, set the game so far above anything else purely in terms of revolutionary content.

I know shinies were obtainable in GSC, but for me they really start in Hoenn - no longer tied to IVs, shininess seems like a much more unique feature. I don't know, it's hard to explain. It's also important to me that these games are the 'start' in terms of forwards compatibility - I'm (slowly) looking to complete all the dexes and this is as good a place as any to start, because it is functionally now the beginning!

Anybody else have any opinions on this matter? Or to the same point, what are your favourite games? I want to know!

Boynsy

Posts : 33
Join date : 2016-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by TBC on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Gen 3 really wasn't all that impressive to me. They were good games, but they didn't have the imagination or risk or increase in features/details that Gen 2 did from Gen 1. 

I found Gen 3 largely forgetful, not even bothering to purchase OR/AS for myself. Gen 4 was freaking abysmal, I liked Gen 5 and thought Gen 6 was quite good. However, Gen 2 all the way.

It had the absolute biggest amount of increase in features and design from any previous iteration of the series, and was just so good as a sequel.  It is, to me, the quintessential sequel and no other Pokemon game holds a candle to it.

Well, except for Sun/Moon. Honestly, they're shaping up to surpass Gold/Silver if they follow through with the awesomeness they've shown so far.

_________________
:Currently Playing:
ESO!!! Xbox One
*Gamertag: Okiushi
*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
avatar
TBC
Admin

Posts : 802
Join date : 2013-05-10
Age : 26
Location : Wisconsin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by Boynsy on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 am

@TBC wrote:Gen 3 really wasn't all that impressive to me. They were good games, but they didn't have the imagination or risk or increase in features/details that Gen 2 did from Gen 1. 

I found Gen 3 largely forgetful, not even bothering to purchase OR/AS for myself. Gen 4 was freaking abysmal, I liked Gen 5 and thought Gen 6 was quite good. However, Gen 2 all the way.

It had the absolute biggest amount of increase in features and design from any previous iteration of the series, and was just so good as a sequel.  It is, to me, the quintessential sequel and no other Pokemon game holds a candle to it.

Well, except for Sun/Moon. Honestly, they're shaping up to surpass Gold/Silver if they follow through with the awesomeness they've shown so far.

I'm really keen to get started on HGSS actually, still never got round to playing them! But as I see it, FRLG and RSE are sort of the 'new' start of the series which I feel adds a lot of positivity to the games for me. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but it does to me at least!

Boynsy

Posts : 33
Join date : 2016-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by TBC on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:11 pm

@Boynsy wrote:I'm really keen to get started on HGSS actually, still never got round to playing them! But as I see it, FRLG and RSE are sort of the 'new' start of the series which I feel adds a lot of positivity to the games for me. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but it does to me at least!
OMG PLAY IT NOW. It's the best game(s) of the series. Without a doubt.

I see what you mean about the new start with FRLG(Not RSE, though, that's Gen 3 and not Gen 1). It breathed new life into the adventures and was pretty awesome. Though, there's still something special about the originals. Plus, Pokebank works from Gen 1 to Gen 7, so that's awesome.
avatar
TBC
Admin

Posts : 802
Join date : 2013-05-10
Age : 26
Location : Wisconsin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by Boynsy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:44 pm

@TBC wrote:
@Boynsy wrote:I'm really keen to get started on HGSS actually, still never got round to playing them! But as I see it, FRLG and RSE are sort of the 'new' start of the series which I feel adds a lot of positivity to the games for me. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but it does to me at least!
OMG PLAY IT NOW. It's the best game(s) of the series. Without a doubt.

I see what you mean about the new start with FRLG(Not RSE, though, that's Gen 3 and not Gen 1). It breathed new life into the adventures and was pretty awesome. Though, there's still something special about the originals. Plus, Pokebank works from Gen 1 to Gen 7, so that's awesome.

Unfortunately I don't own HGSS... yet. But I am very keen to get onto them if I can find an affordable copy of either or both.

I'm finding it really hard to put into words why I love Gen 3 so much, but I think it has a lot to do with the games feeling both retro, with plenty of the original Pokemon, while still being greatly updated from the first two generations. On top of that, as I mentioned the fact that they 'start' the series (in the sense that a Pokemon can be brought forward form Gen 3 all the way to 7 and maybe beyond) counts for a lot in my book - although I'm unsure how I feel about this now being possible from Gen 1 with Pokemon Bank! I guess it's a good thing but that's another topic.

I find that the Pokemon included in this generation are fantastic too - I limit myself to what Pokemon I use in each game through a set of entirely self imposed, fairly arbitrary rules that I can't seem to break, so the fact that there is such a wide set of fantastic Pokemon included makes for a good game in my book.

When it comes to the remakes though, I find myself a little let down. I don't know why, but I find the story much more of a drag in FRLG and I tend to just want to use the games to fill up the Dex. So all in all, I don't know why I think of this generation as the best, but it may be just because of the amount of time I've pumped into it making it the generation I know best!

Boynsy

Posts : 33
Join date : 2016-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by TBC on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:04 pm

Yeah, nostalgia and first-ism is a big draw to make something the best. I see what you mean about it being the 'start', but you can still get Pokemon from gen 1 up to Gen 7 without the Pokebank. It's just quite difficult. Gen 1 was great because it was the start, but Gen 2 was so awesome due to the fact of the sheer amount of content increase it had and what it did to the series.

The jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2 was far greater than Gen 2 to Gen 3. So, while I concede they were good games and your point about the starting, Gen 2 was just such a better sequel. But yeah, the whole Pokebank thing is awesome! It made me buy Yellow version the moment I found out about that.

I see what you mean on the remakes at times. I don't know why, but I prefer the original Gen 1 to FRLG myself.

Also, yeah, the Pokemon in this gen look fantastic. Ever since Gen 5, I've been doing a system where I change my team entirely each gym, or change them out once they hit their max evolution. It keeps me using more Pokemon and gives me a better variety and stuff. With a game like Pokemon, you gotta keep your team fresh.
avatar
TBC
Admin

Posts : 802
Join date : 2013-05-10
Age : 26
Location : Wisconsin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by Boynsy on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:45 pm

@TBC wrote:Yeah, nostalgia and first-ism is a big draw to make something the best. I see what you mean about it being the 'start', but you can still get Pokemon from gen 1 up to Gen 7 without the Pokebank. It's just quite difficult. Gen 1 was great because it was the start, but Gen 2 was so awesome due to the fact of the sheer amount of content increase it had and what it did to the series.

The jump from Gen 1 to Gen 2 was far greater than Gen 2 to Gen 3. So, while I concede they were good games and your point about the starting, Gen 2 was just such a better sequel. But yeah, the whole Pokebank thing is awesome! It made me buy Yellow version the moment I found out about that.

I see what you mean on the remakes at times. I don't know why, but I prefer the original Gen 1 to FRLG myself.

Also, yeah, the Pokemon in this gen look fantastic. Ever since Gen 5, I've been doing a system where I change my team entirely each gym, or change them out once they hit their max evolution. It keeps me using more Pokemon and gives me a better variety and stuff. With a game like Pokemon, you gotta keep your team fresh.

How do you get Pokemon fro 1 to 7? You can't transfer forward from 2 to 3 so I don't understand without the use of Pokemon Bank?

Boynsy

Posts : 33
Join date : 2016-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by TBC on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:59 pm

@Boynsy wrote:so I don't understand without the use of Pokemon Bank?
The Pokemon Bank is how you do it. The ability isn't there right now, but in January or whenever Pokebank becomes available to Sun/moon, it'll come to R/B/Y.

That is the whole selling point of them being on the eShop. Original Gen 1 games where you can plop your Pokemon into the Pokebank and put em into Gen 7. Straight up Gen 1 to Gen 7 transfer. It's quite awesome. I had to get one of them due to that
avatar
TBC
Admin

Posts : 802
Join date : 2013-05-10
Age : 26
Location : Wisconsin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Probably the best games in the series

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum