Pokemon Evolution

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pokemon Evolution

Post by Boynsy on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:49 pm

I don't know how keen you are to move away from established methods of evolution, but something that has always annoyed me in Pokemon games is how sometimes the Pokedex entries are just downright lies as represented in game. For example, how Magnemite are supposed to evolve by forming into a group of three, rather than by level up - would you be interested in making some of the monsters more accurately reflect their Pokedex entries?

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pokemon Evolution

Post by KvaGram on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:37 am

This is most interesting, and I have had the same thought. In theory it should be possible, but it is hard to say how it would work in practice.

There are many questions to raise when it comes to merging evolutions like you describe. Most of them on the mechanics, and how they would be implemented.
What happens to the merged pokemon?
Can they un-merge and split up?
How is the merging triggered?
Are the stats of the pokemon combined in some way?
Would one pokemon be considered dominant, or would they all be equal?

All these questions, and possibly more, would have to be answered clearly before even trying.
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:52 pm

Interesting questions! I hadn't really thought of them, but I suppose this would happen:

The merged Pokemon become one - you end up with two less Pokemon in your party. I would assume you can't unmerge them, but I don't know if that is true according to Pokedex entries.

The trigger could be anything, depending on the level of complexity desired. For example, merely bringing 3 Magnemite together in your party could trigger it, or levelling one up with two others in your party. Maybe all three Pokemon have to reach level 30, or 40? Or maybe all three have to be put in the same PC box, or allowed to roam free in the same area?

I would suggest that the stats could be redefined in one of three ways - if the evolution is triggered by level up, then the pokemon levelling up to trigger the evolution gives its stats to the evolved creature. If the pokemon merely have to be brought together, then either the highest stats are taken, or the average stats are taken. Finally, the stats could simply be recalculated upon evolution.

I'd guess they'd all be equal, in that they each form 1/3 of the evolved Pokemon. I'm not sure how shininess would be considered though - maybe only one Pokemon needs to be shiny to pass it on, or maybe all three do.

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Thank you for the suggestion Smile

Given the complexity of what would be needed here(a shelldar biting a Slowpoke's tail for instance, and a canon situation where the Shelldar could let go and it could de-volve), it isn't very feasible to make it happen in-game. Reaching realism in different areas is definitely a goal when it comes to design. However, accentuating when and where this realism lies is key. This is why you never see people go to the bathroom in shows/movies, or why you don't see the need to micromanage your sleep/water/food in games unless it's the most ardent survival situation. And even then, there are concessions to realism in other facets of said game.

As far as the Pokedex entries, I definitely plan on making them different. It's going to be a Pokejournal the player character is writing in, so it will be more first-hand observations and stuff.

However, this doesn't mean nods to this could never happen. Having a quest involving this or some other type of nod is definitely a possibility.

Like bringing a lost magnemite back to a trainer and then it joins and evolves with the other two, or something else to that effect. It could be a good way of covering some of those canon established methods of evolving while not needing to make the mechanics convoluted.

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down