Game with ALL REGIONS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game with ALL REGIONS!

Post by TBC on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 pm

So the idea of a game with all 6 regions has floated around for a long while now. While I have my own rant/ideas for it, Speqtor did a great video describing most of the points I have for this.

What are your thoughts?

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game with ALL REGIONS!

Post by KvaGram on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:46 pm

There are quite a few good points in that video.
I think, in the terms of storage, it is possible to squeeze all the regions into the game-cartridge. But there would be a lot of shared assets, and more than a few compromises.

As for the game-design, it would have to be real clever. It can't have the familiar 8 gym setup. The leveling scale would have to be reworked, or even scrapped for a new system.

If we wanted to keep some trace of the 8-gym setup, I can see one way: The player start on a region - parhaps they get to chose - after beating the pokemon league, they get tasked with beating "region masters" or something, traveling different regions (probably not complete regions, just parts). Then fight in a world pokemon league.

It would be tricky to design either way.
One way to make it work, however, would be to make it an MMORPG. But doing so might make it tricky to keep it on a mobile platform (or, well, we will see if that changes with the Switch).
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 pm

I agree. It would almost for sure need to be an MMO or a game like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls series, Bioshock etc. Sometime I should share my ideas of a Pokemon MMO/Single Player Open World Adventure RPG.

But I may want to save the idea for a similar game of my IP if I get that far, and may not want to divulge my plans hahaha.  I have a lot of unique ideas for it.

But yeah, the leveling and pacing would have to drastically change. It could still be something where you start in one town, like you do in Morrowind/Oblivion. But it could either be pre-set like in Morrowind where it doesn't scale, and still work, or it could be like Oblivion where the world scales with you.

The gyms in the former would just need to be more abundant and represent different things and the gym leaders would just need to do what they do in the shows and have tiers of teams. For the scaling one, it would be easier to make the town you start in a choice.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by KvaGram on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:11 am

If we do away with the leveling system, and replace it with something more like a player skill. That is, the player has to be good at the game to do well, it could work.

It would be a complete redesign of pokemon, and a lot would have to change. Most likely not entirely friendly to existing lore.

The pokemon that evolve by level would have to be redesigned for other conditions. Perhaps age can become an vital factor.

Pokemon trained by proper trainers would be only marginally stronger than their wild counterparts. But the when commanded by an experienced trainer, can reach full potential.
If a pokemon's age is going to matter, then perhaps the game-world needs an accelerated time, like we have seen with Black and White (each season of the year lasting just one month).

In a game featuring all of the regions, there would need to be incentives to use native pokemon. Parhaps the natives do better in battle. A native damage bonus could do it, but that might be a bit too lazy.
KvaGram

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:42 pm

KvaGram wrote:If we do away with the leveling system, and replace it with something more like a player skill. That is, the player has to be good at the game to do well, it could work.

It would be a complete redesign of pokemon, and a lot would have to change. Most likely not entirely friendly to existing lore.
Yeah, it really seems like that's the only way it could feasibly work.  While it might not be too friendly, it could work for anime lore/battling.

There's actually a perfect system already out there for this; ESO.  The One Tamriel Update made it where everything scales; from the beginning of the game you can travel across the world and stuff. You can even party with high level people and your stats get boosted. You just don't have the skills. Then there's the champion system.

An all-region game would need to be structured like Oblivion with world-scaling or like ESO with the same. It wouldn't have to be an MMO; it'd just need to borrow some of the principles.

Your trainer could have a 'skill tree' and allow for more actions on your Pokemon as you level or something, and more of those Trainer-Pokemon connections. 

Battles would almost be like Turn Based where when you find one, you let out a Pokemon and instead of the trainer moving, you take control of the Pokemon. Or it could be command-based with the trainer and it could work like FFXII or FFXIII or XIII-3 or something. More dynamic, but menu-based maybe.

The Pokemon could level up and evolve by level, but the stats would be a bit different there'd be scaling. EVs would be re-done to represent like the Champion System in ESO. It's a secondary level system where you can keep gaining Champ points and they confer small permanent bonuses and stuff.   A level 5 char can still fight a lv 50 champ 300 And put up a fight with the scaling, but more often than not lose.  But there's a chance to win.

But yeah. It could def work for all regions as a more ESO/Single player ES game with world scaling and have those different things like you said about trainers with their natives and stuff. Your Pokemon could still max, but the others scale too. So you could keep 1 team forever or change em out and it will still work decently.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I would play the absolute -heck- out of a MMO Pokemon Game! I want more than to be the Champ no one challenges ARCEUS DANGIT XD

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Hahaha :p

I actually wouldn't prefer it being a full MMO, though. I mean I'd like a Pokemon MMO as much as the next person. But there are different fundamental concessions you have to make when going as am MMO. I'd like to see an ESO-leveling system and giant world like in a single player game. That'd be so cool. Maybe have certain areas you connect online in and could do full multiplayer mode there or something. But yeah.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:41 pm

TBC wrote:Hahaha :p

I actually wouldn't prefer it being a full MMO, though.  I mean I'd like a Pokemon MMO as much as the next person. But there are different fundamental concessions you have to make when going as am MMO. I'd like to see an ESO-leveling system and giant world like in a single player game. That'd be so cool. Maybe have certain areas you connect online in and could do full multiplayer mode there or something. But yeah.  

Or this...something on the scope of Skyrim with like...Contest halls n such as 'Online'? maybe even making it so you go through the Pokemon League the way they do in the show where you battle the other trainers who also won the right to challenge the Elites?

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Exactly!  Like it'd be a single player game, but it would have online components in certain locations and stuff.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:29 pm

That would be FANTASTIC!. Though the chance of it happening from the creators of Pokemon does seem rather slim. Then again they are bucking their trend with how Sun and Moon are played *no 'league' yet so no 'being the champ no one challenges ever' it appears*.

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Hahaha yeah. These are definitely just pipe dreams :p
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:40 pm

Well the changes shown atm in Sun/Moon do give me some hope XD.

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:55 pm

There's nothing in Sun/Moon that aides a game with all of the regions. Unless you're talking graphically. However the game would be, looking like Sun/Moon would be cool.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:01 pm

I mean as far as changing up the formula of 'beat eight gyms then the elite four n the previous champ to become the champ no one fights XD. But if they keep amping up graphically too that would be wicked heh.

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Ah, yeah, I gotcha. There would need to be some bigger changes to the formula in some way or another to make it work.

Oooh yeah, an Evoland type of thing, but for Pokemon. That'd be neat.
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyuuna on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:39 am

Evoland? wazzat? I was thinking more like a game such as ARK SE personally lol

Kyuuna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TBC on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:23 pm

It's an RPG where the game amps up graphically as you go through it.

TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Friend Code:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down