Closed Demo Feedback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Closed Demo Feedback

Post by Boynsy on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:46 am

So I've only played about half an hour of the game, but I have some early feedback.

The look of the game is beautiful; the sprites and the overworld and the backgrounds and everything are lovely. My only suggestion is could the in battle pokemon be animated if that's a possibility?

There are a few errors in the speech in terms of grammar, word choice and so on. I noticed this early on in the game, although some of these are obviously not going to make it into the full game.

The pace of the game feels a little too slow - I don't know how to get the running shoes if they are available yet - and I don't like having to struggle past the 3rd trainer in the game, but I get that this is the RPG style thing that you're going for.

In addition to this, I'd prefer to have an option to turn on/off the opposing Pokemon's nicknames. That's just personal preference though, it feels weird to me having played through every game so far with no nicknames.

I am a big fan of the game so far, it feels interesting and I can't wait to get further into it.

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Closed Demo Feedback

Post by TBC on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:29 am

Boynsy wrote:So I've only played about half an hour of the game, but I have some early feedback.
Early feedback is good! All feedback is good Very Happy
Boynsy wrote:The look of the game is beautiful; the sprites and the overworld and the backgrounds and everything are lovely. My only suggestion is could the in battle pokemon be animated if that's a possibility?
Thank you Smile We've tried animated Pokemon in the past. Having animated Pokemon with pixellated backgrounds and stuff looked a little jarring and it had a very large impact on download size. If we did anything animated, it'd have to be done from scratch and we don't have the resources/time for that.

Boynsy wrote:There are a few errors in the speech in terms of grammar, word choice and so on. I noticed this early on in the game, although some of these are obviously not going to make it into the full game.
Ah, yeah. Grammar is not my best skill :p Though, a lot of people seem to think the letter 'a' in one of the fonts looks like 'e'. If there are spelling errors with a/e, that's probably it :p

But yeah. The dialogue is far from final; there still needs to be full-edit rounds and stuff yet. However, if you would like to call out specific areas(with screenshots also please) definitely do so.
Boynsy wrote:The pace of the game feels a little too slow - I don't know how to get the running shoes if they are available yet - and I don't like having to struggle past the 3rd trainer in the game, but I get that this is the RPG style thing that you're going for.
Thank you for the feedback! I have gone back and forth on where I wanted to include the Running shoes. They currently are in the game after you go through the Pokemon Academy, you come back home as your Father told you and you get the shoes. I wanted to have it be given later so that it could give the player time to explore the worldspace a bit more and interact with things.

My aim with Gen 0 is the fantasy where you have a sense of glory where every victory is a struggle. Now, while I am not going to compromise that, it does mean I need to reach this fantasy through narrative and mechanics and pacing. So if the pacing is off I'd like to get more where you are coming from.

Two things:
1. Where are you at(what was the last more major thing you did in the game) and how many quests have you done?
2. What do you feel is a solution to the problem you're experiencing?
Boynsy wrote:In addition to this, I'd prefer to have an option to turn on/off the opposing Pokemon's nicknames. That's just personal preference though, it feels weird to me having played through every game so far with no nicknames.
Sorry, this is a no-go. The Pokemon nickname thing for opposing trainers is a specific design decision I made and one I intend to keep in with no options for change on that. With this being an RPG, I want to personalize and humanize the characters within the world. Like in the anime, you see people with Pokemon that have nicknames.

Boynsy wrote:I am a big fan of the game so far, it feels interesting and I can't wait to get further into it.
Thank you!! Very Happy I'm glad you're enjoying it Very Happy

*Guild: Fellowship of Shenanigans
Titanfall 2
Fallout 4
Shadows of Adam
TBC
Admin

Trainer Card
Trainer Name:: Kain
Region: Kanto
Friend Code:

View user profile http://www.pokegen0.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Boynsy on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 pm

TBC wrote:
Thank you Smile  We've tried animated Pokemon in the past. Having animated Pokemon with pixellated backgrounds and stuff looked a little jarring and it had a very large impact on download size. If we did anything animated, it'd have to be done from scratch and we don't have the resources/time for that.

Well that makes sense then, I mean I'm content with how it looks as is, was just wondering if animated sprites would look better.

TBC wrote:But yeah. The dialogue is far from final; there still needs to be full-edit rounds and stuff yet. However, if you would like to call out specific areas(with screenshots also please) definitely do so.
I just get the sense that a whole bunch of the dialogue could do with going over and double checking, nothing stood out to me so much but some of it seems a little off - particularly with the grammar as you've acknowledged.

TBC wrote:Thank you for the feedback! I have gone back and forth on where I wanted to include the Running shoes. They currently are in the game after you go through the Pokemon Academy, you come back home as your Father told you and you get the shoes. I wanted to have it be given later so that it could give the player time to explore the worldspace a bit more and interact with things.
For me, I think I'd be far more inclined to do more exploring if I got the running shoes as early as possible. It would make running to another quest quicker obviously, and I'd feel like I'm making a lot more progress a lot quicker.

TBC wrote:My aim with Gen 0 is the fantasy where you have a sense of glory where every victory is a struggle. Now, while I am not going to compromise that, it does mean I need to reach this fantasy through narrative and mechanics and pacing. So if the pacing is off I'd like to get more where you are coming from.
I suppose it did feel like a victory to win that battle but it felt a little unfair going in to face a superior opponent with the type advantage with little warning (I feel like it was briefly mentioned but nothing more than that iirc?) that early in the game.

This also ties into the running shoes - it was a pain to have to painstakingly walk back from Clair's each time he beat me, especially when it wasn't my fault. Once he flinched me with low HP, then the next time his Pichu's static came into play and I lost because of that. I'm not complaining about losing, because I know that these mechanics are part and parcel of the game, but I would like to be able to dive back into that battle as quickly as possible.

TBC wrote:Two things:
1. Where are you at(what was the last more major thing you did in the game) and how many quests have you done?
2. What do you feel is a solution to the problem you're experiencing?
1. I've just reached Viridian City, I've only done a couple of quests so far (one gave me a Zigzagoon)
2. Early running shoes are the best thing I can think of to speed up the game - I feel that the walking slowly is the biggest problem I have. Given that I haven't reached them yet, I don;t know if they work indoors but they should!

TBC wrote:Sorry, this is a no-go. The Pokemon nickname thing for opposing trainers is a specific design decision I made and one I intend to keep in with no options for change on that. With this being an RPG, I want to personalize and humanize the characters within the world. Like in the anime, you see people with Pokemon that have nicknames.
Well I guess this is something I'm just going to have to live with. It's bearable, but it just seems weird when Hiker sends out his Bonsly nicknamed Trent. It's not even a good nickname for a Bonsly!

One more thing - I don't like how you don't walk up or down steps in the game, just glide gently across them. I don't know if this is something you could change?

Boynsy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top